Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Monitor - Enable time windows for monitoring

08-30-2021 11:49 PM
David_Horsey_old
Deactivated User

In addition to their Production environments, I know some organisations that additionally monitor non-production environments. However, these non-production environments are often powered down overnight which triggers alerts.

It would be great in this situation if the user could be presented with an option to select a time window for when a monitor should be active. 

Tags (1)
4 Comments
Royce_Simpson

In my case, our production ArcGIS Server env recycles its services at midnight every day which, for the subsequent few hours after that recycling event, causes all kinds of ArcGIS Monitor alert mayhem resulting in 30+ notifications to my email account.  Every day I have to go to my email client and blindly delete all those emails.

This week I've implemented a nice workaround (solution?).  I've set up a Windows Task Scheduler to stop the ArcGIS Monitor service at 23:57.  Then at 03:00, another task fires the service back up.  Done and done.

To try it out, follow these steps.  For the service in question, I used the oddly named "arcgismonitorservicearcgismonitorservice.exe".  You'll create two tasks... one to do the NET STOP and another to do the NET START.

David_Horsey_old

Hi @Royce_Simpson. Thanks for sending through the details of your workaround. That would work for a few of my clients where they have different collections set up for monitoring their different environments - we could just set up some scheduled tasks to stop and restart the appropriate windows services to align with the downtime of their non-production environments.

I do think this would benefit from a proper solution within the application though. Another use case for a feature like this would be if one or more components within a collection is restarted overnight. In that case I'd want to be able to disable monitoring on those components for a period of time but still allow for the other components in the collection to be monitored.

DerekLaw
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Hi @David_Horsey_old

It would be great in this situation if the user could be presented with an option to select a time window for when a monitor should be active. 

This capability will be available in the forthcoming ArcGIS Monitor 2022 release. You will be able to specify an incident - a period of time where ArcGIS Monitor does not capture data metrics, nor send alerts. 

FYI, ArcGIS Monitor 2022 is targeted for release in Q4 2022.

Hope this helps,

DerekLaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This capability was implemented in ArcGIS Monitor 2023.0. 

Incidents allow you to schedule one-time or recurring maintenance windows and annotate unplanned outages for one or more collections in ArcGIS Monitor.