Copying features from one geodatabase to another gdb

Jump to solution
02-01-2024 12:07 AM
mcrabino
New Contributor II

Hello! Just posting here if there's anyone who might be able to help.

I already have a file geodatabase with the features I needed for an ENC. However, I created a new one to make another ENC for a different purpose. So, I tried to copy some of the feature classes to the new file gdb with the same Nautical ENC schema. While most of the features were copied successfully, I've encountered some features wherein the FCSubtype attribute was converted to a number code that I couldn't edit/change. With this, the code might have corresponded to a different FCSubtype causing an error (see image below):

MonalyneRabino_0-1706773074920.png

I just don't understand why the copy-paste (from one gdb to another) worked on some features but not on all.  I hope someone can help. Thank you in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Paulakark
Esri Contributor

Hi @mcrabino ,

Thank you for the additional information. 🙂 

It is not recommended to copy feature classes to a maritime geodatabase or change the data model in any other way.  The maritime tools are designed to work with the supported data models and therefore adding/replacing/removing feature classes can lead to undesired outcome. 

Let me know if creating a new S-57 ENC database and copying the data with the Copy S-57 Features tool solves your issue.

Thank you,

Paulina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Paulakark
Esri Contributor

Hello @mcrabino 

Can you elaborate on your copy-paste workflow? Did you select the features in the map and then used the Clipboard tools (Copy -> Paste Special) to copy the features from one gdb to another?

Paulakark_0-1706776360990.png

If you want to make sure that all features are copied correctly (including the structure-equipment relationships), you should use the Copy S-57 Features tool. In the tool, you can provide the layers that should be copied to the target database.

Paulina

mcrabino
New Contributor II

Hi @Paulakark . Thank you for your reply. I actually did the copy-paste workflow using the Catalog.

I deleted the previous features  I copied to test the Copy S-57 Features tool you mentioned, however, my problem with the FCSubtype field remains.  I guess I will create a new gdb again and use that tool to copy the features I need. Hopefully, it will work well this time. 

I appreciate your reply. 

Many thanks,

Mona

0 Kudos
Paulakark
Esri Contributor

Hi @mcrabino ,

Thank you for the additional information. 🙂 

It is not recommended to copy feature classes to a maritime geodatabase or change the data model in any other way.  The maritime tools are designed to work with the supported data models and therefore adding/replacing/removing feature classes can lead to undesired outcome. 

Let me know if creating a new S-57 ENC database and copying the data with the Copy S-57 Features tool solves your issue.

Thank you,

Paulina

0 Kudos
mcrabino
New Contributor II

Hi @Paulakark

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the copy-paste workflow using the Catalog works in a similar way. And yes,  I used the Copy S-57 Features Tool this time and it worked perfectly well!  

Thanks a lot!

Mona

0 Kudos