Symbology: No custom color within the SymbolDictionary [EsriRuntimeQt SDK (C++)]

08-05-2015 01:41 AM
NorbertThoden
Occasional Contributor III

It is not possible to render a military symbol (based on the standard MIL2525 or <removed>) using SymbolDictionary::symbolImage with a arbitrary color (maybe selected by the customer).
Although this requirement is focussed by MILL2525, it´s not possible....
Usecase: Multiple teams within a comand and control system..

From my point of view this in an insuifficiant API!

Here a snippet of the MIL-STD-2525C from 17 November 2008, 5.4.6, b:

b. Implementations shall use the default frame colors defined in this standard to indicate
standard identity. If differentiation is needed within a standard identity category, additional colors should be used (i.e., for the frame or color fill) within that category, but the default colors
for the other standard identities shall not be changed. Hardware permitting, and unless
specifically prohibited by system specification for operational reasons, implementation of this
standard shall provide for operator control of color to the individual icon level. The intent is
maximum operational flexibility in those situations where the basic default colors are not
sufficient for ready discrimination (i.e., multiple hostiles which must be differentiated from each other) and to assign a specific color to a special interest target without reference to its standard identity.

EsriRuntimeQt SDK (C++); Version 10.2.6

1 Comment
LucasDanzinger
Status changed to: Already Offered

MilitarySymbols are multilayer symbols that can be modified in Runtime or Pro. For example, you could modify the symbol in Pro, such as changing the background color or disabling color lock on a specific layer in the symbol. Once in Runtime, you could modify the color in code https://developers.arcgis.com/qt/cpp/api-reference/esri-arcgisruntime-multilayersymbol.html#setColor