Select to view content in your preferred language

How to re-compile samples project through Visual Studio?

Jump to solution
08-07-2022 01:08 PM
JMitchell
New Contributor III

Hi,

I wanted to test out the ArcGIS Maps SDK for Unreal Engine and I was able to follow and complete the "Display a map (UI)" tutorial, but I was interested in the other samples available through github at this location:

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-maps-sdk-unreal-engine-samples

However, when I try to launch the project I get the following message:

"The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:

sample_project

Would you like to rebuild them now  Y/N?"

and then the error:

"sample_project could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually."

In step #3 of the instructions on the github page it alludes to how to remedy this error: "3. Launch the Unreal Engine project. Note if you are prompted that there is a version mismatch that can be ignored, but if the project needs to be re-compiled you will need to launch it thru Visual Studio"

I cannot seem to figure out how to complete the re-compile and the link to follow doesn't seem to actually say how to do this.

I eventually found my way to generating a VS project file by right-clicking on the "sample_project.uproject" file and choosing "Generate Visual Studio project files"

Then going into that VS project file and trying the instructions here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/ProductionPipelines/DevelopmentSetup/CompilingProjects/

but when I try to rebuild the "sample_project" it outputs that it failed to rebuild.

Are there any clearer instructions on how to remedy this?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JMitchell
New Contributor III

Matt,

I was able to get it to build after looking at the log and realizing that I did not have a copy of the ArcGISMapsSDK plugin in the folder before running it.

My mistake.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Matt_Nelson
Esri Contributor

After you generate vs project files did you open the vs solution in visual studio and then run it thru visual studio? 

Regardless I'll update this doc to make it clearer

0 Kudos
JMitchell
New Contributor III

Hi Matt,

When I open the vs solution in visual studio and try to run it, it comes up with the same errors as I described in my original post. 

0 Kudos
Matt_Nelson
Esri Contributor

The error list window should be telling you what is exactly failing to compile.

0 Kudos
JMitchell
New Contributor III

Matt,

I was able to get it to build after looking at the log and realizing that I did not have a copy of the ArcGISMapsSDK plugin in the folder before running it.

My mistake.

Thanks,

0 Kudos