Select to view content in your preferred language

Flashing/Flickering Basemap and Image Layers when playing in Editor

11-10-2022 02:29 AM
JosefStoeger
Emerging Contributor

Hello! Firstly thanks for all the hard work on the sdk, I can see it has a lot of potential.

Although in the editor preview everything works fine, my main issue is that once I click play, parts of the basemap and image layers in a global scene flicker inbetween black and normal. This occurs even when the image layer is turned off. I have attached a screenshot below.

In a local scene I have created, the same sort of issue occurs, however it flickers to white. (This scene also has a basemap and image layer.) I tried to take a screenshot of this but when the windows key is hit in the local scene, there is no more flickering.

I really want to continue using the plugin but it's unusable right now! Please help!

Josef

11 Replies
Matt_Nelson
Esri Alum

Can you share a video. I can't really tell what you are describing from the image.

0 Kudos
JosefStoeger
Emerging Contributor

Hi Matt,

The issue has resolved itself on the local scene however it is persisting on the global scene. Although not shown in the video I have tried setting all other components in my scene to 'hidden' so I think it is definitely the basemap/image layer. 

0 Kudos
Matt_Nelson
Esri Alum

Ok thanks for sharing that.

0 Kudos
Matt_Nelson
Esri Alum

Would it be possible for you to share a .umap for this level with us? It would make it easier to reproduce.

0 Kudos
JosefStoeger
Emerging Contributor

The filetype .umap is not supported for upload on this forum - is there an email I can send it to?

0 Kudos
JosefStoeger
Emerging Contributor

Hi Matt, not sure if you got my previous post, but .umap is not supported. May I have your email to send it to please?

Best,

Josef

0 Kudos
Matt_Nelson
Esri Alum

@JosefStoeger I sent you a direct message

Matt_Nelson
Esri Alum

Hi @JosefStoeger I think I have a couple of things that can solve your issue.
1. Either disable occlusion culling https://esri-runtime.slack.com/archives/C03QPCPL0SV/p1668783159771629?thread_ts=1668076481.938819&ci... 
2. Enable the heirarchical z buffer https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.1/en-US/visibility-and-occlusion-culling-in-unreal-engine/#hierarchi...

I believe both can solve your issue of the z fighting we are seeing causing the tile to flicker. 

We are investigating more proper solutions for this but in the meantime I think this should help you.

0 Kudos
that_MichaelSmith
Emerging Contributor

This is what the flickering looks like for me.  It seems to be oscillating between levels of detail of the textures of the basemap.

0 Kudos