Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGis SDK for Unreal Setup

07-23-2022 03:11 PM
RaymondGutierrez
New Contributor

Hello! I am new to the Esri community. My organization is interested in testing the SDK for Unreal Engine. Is there a guide to setting up everything I need to start using the plugin, specifically on the Esri side? It appears I need an API key to authenticate my account, but I do not see an option for API key in my developer account dashboard like I have seen in other tutorial videos. 

Can someone please help me with the API key setup? 

Thank You!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MunaNagash
New Contributor

I have the same problem no API

0 Kudos
pcadeot
New Contributor

Same here...

As stated in the questions/answer section from marketplace, asking more in depth context to another user, here is some :

I started from UE Markeplace, directing to https://developers.arcgis.com/unreal-engine/get-started/

From that page, I follow steps, then there is the API part : 

4. Get an API key

Create, manage, and scope API key in your developer dashboard. For the detailed steps to create an API key, see Create and manage an API key  in the Mapping APIs and location services guide.

So I jump to this link...

There, it says :

Create a new API key

An API key is created for you when you sign up for an ArcGIS Developer account . If you already have an ArcGIS account, you can sign in  to view your default API key and create more API keys.

1. From the developer dashboard, click Manage.

On my dashboard there is no Manage to click :

pcadeot_0-1659712707018.png

On this snapshot you see two things :

1- at first access it asked me to select an API, we'll go in detail on that below, I chose .Net because I don't see nothing close to unreal engine, so this is the one chown / selected in the top right area.

2- in the bottom part, it says I can continue to use my public account to download apis, so it seems I don't have to upgrade to developer account, and there is indeed no mention it is required from UE marketplace product page.

When I click on the gear icon, I go back to that API selection screen, here is the choices I get :

pcadeot_1-1659713068812.png

so, voilà, this summarize what an arcgis newbie face starting from UE marketplace...

please improve guidelines and explain what is required, I got the feeling there is something about the "developper account", but in step 1 it said :

1. Sign in with an ArcGIS account

To access ArcGIS location services, you need an ArcGIS Developer account  or ArcGIS Online account .

So it looks like it's not required to have a developper account, while the button clearly states it...

Anyhow it looks like a very nice piece of software, I would very like to toy with it...

thanks

0 Kudos
TomoTakeda
Esri Contributor

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting this. I checked with teams and found out that there are some situations where a Public account is created instead of a Developer account. The team will investigate further to improve the user experience. For now, upgrading the account to a Developer account is the way to obtain an API key.

When a Public account was created, you will see "Public" in the "Account Info" box on the Dashboard and you will have a message suggesting to upgrade to a Developer account as you can see in the screenshot provided by pcadeot.

We have updated our documentation and mentioned that the upgrade is required if a Public account was created.

When there is "Organization" in the "Account Info" box and don't have the option to obtain an API key, the account is an ArcGIS Online account and you'll need to contact the organization administrator.

https://developers.arcgis.com/documentation/mapping-apis-and-services/deployment/accounts/#arcgis-on...

Thanks again for the posts and all information provided.

AydinUluc
New Contributor II
0 Kudos