Select to view content in your preferred language

Unity: Issue with UV Mapping on 3D Objects in Scene Layer (SLPK file)

11-10-2023 01:02 PM
StarrLong
New Contributor

Is there a known issue with Scene Layer rendering using the Unity URP pipeline and ArcGIS Plugin v1.3? Specifically is there an issue with textures, UV mapping, and flipped normals of 3D objects.

We have created a SLPK file that includes 3D buildings that appears normal in arcGIS Pro but when rendered in Unity it looks completely wrong. It looks better in Unreal but still has errors. 

Is there a workaround if we are seeing these issues?

Here are the buildings in ArcGIS Pro:

buildings in arcgispro.png

Here are the buildings in our Unity application:

buildings in unity.png

buildings in unity2.pngbuildings in unity3.png

Here are the buildings in Unreal:

buildings in unreal.png

0 Kudos
13 Replies
TomoTakeda
Esri Contributor

Hi, 

Thanks for your report.
We found there is an issue with scene layer normals being incorrect with URP for some layers. However, your issue might not be caused only by that issue. In order to be able to troubleshoot this, I'm wondering if you can provide the data. If you cannot provide full data, you can create a layer with a few affected buildings and share it as an online service or SLPK.

Thanks,

StarrLong
New Contributor

Here is a smaller sample. I had to share it from google since it's 30 MB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16vWUx0Dn2Uo6_2Me3Dn9_SYE43u5gQz_/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
TomoTakeda
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the files. I managed to download and see the issue on a Unity URP project for the buildings. However, the terrain SLPK file seems to be corrupted, I'm wondering what's in the file. Is it possible to share the terrain SLPK file again?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
StarrLong
New Contributor

TomoTakeda,

Thanks for confirming the building URP issue. Let's focus on the building issue for now please as that's our higher priority because we have fallbacks for terrain but none for the buildings. While we look at buildings I'm going to ask the engineer that created the sample terrain to jump on this thread and try uploading the terrain file again.

0 Kudos
StarrLong
New Contributor

Here is a different link that we believe is not corrupted: http://chilp.it/1edcb65

0 Kudos
StefanOnea
New Contributor

Hello,

I uploaded the terrain file here:

http://chilp.it/85c0107

MD5 hash of Sample_I3S_TERRAIN.7z: f2ff9d147aa4217851db1e50cf598519

MD5 hash of Sample_I3S_TERRAIN.slpk: 2d013f27424fc95103cc0e4ee51748d3

Let us know if that works.

0 Kudos
StarrLong
New Contributor

TomoTakeda is there now a work ticket for the URP issue and a possible ETA for a fix?

0 Kudos
TomoTakeda
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the new link. I downloaded the file and now I can load the terrain file.

I understand there are several issues here, including what I previously commented.
- 3D object scene layer texture mapping issue (possibly related to UV)
- Normal issue (possible due to the URP shader code of our plugin not correcting some normals for some layers)
- Terrain integrated mesh missing some parts depending on the camera position

We are currently investigating the first issue above. However, we haven't found the root cause yet although our internal test data that has UV is rendered OK on game engines. So, I don't have any ETA at this moment.

For the second issue, we haven't prioritized the fix yet. And for the last one, it could be the same as we have been seeking a solution for a while, however, I still need to run some tests to confirm it. So, I don't have any ETA for those ones either.

When I have any updates on any of those, I'll let you know. 

0 Kudos
StarrLong
New Contributor

Thank you for the updates

0 Kudos