Select to view content in your preferred language

Displaying Point Data as a 3DObject Scene Layer

Jump to solution
11-11-2022 01:47 PM
LDD_NW
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am looking for some assistance in displaying ArcGIS Pro Point data in 3D in Unity. So far I have been able to visualize two distinct layers in Unity

1. 2D Image Tile of Point data: I followed standard ArcGIS Pro instructions to host the data as a tile web layer. This worked as planned and I can see the points overlaid on my basemap in unity.
  2. 3DObject Scene Layer of fields relating to 2D census track data. I have been able to view this in Unity. My process was the following:
    1. From the 2D data, use the extrude tool to convert to 3D make the data type: polygon 
    2. Using the Geoprocessing tool 'Layer 3D to Feature Class" I converted the polygon type to a multipatch type
    3. Using the 'Create 3D Object Scene Layer Content' Geoprocessing tool to convert type multipatch to '3D Object Scene Layer'

I am really happy with these results and can view in a VR headset. What I would like to do next is display my 2D point data that is currently an image tile as some form of 3D data. This is because it is difficult to see the 2D image tiles underneath the 3DObject data.

I tried following a similar process of making the points 3D by using the extrude tool. However, the data type still remains as a point even though it is displaying in 3D. This means I cannot convert it to a feature class (for the multipatch type) and then a 3D Object Scene Layer.

So the Question becomes, does anyone know a workflow for going from point > 3D Object Scene Layer?

Thanks for the help,

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
coryeicher
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nick,

Check out this post/thread. 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-maps-sdk-for-unity-questions/data-transformation-flow-from-2d-g...

EDIT: The ArcGIS Pro doc is a good resource, but it does helps if you already have some familiarity with 3D data in the ArcGIS ecosystem. The 3D Analyst extension is useful to do some of this data creation/conversion especially in bulk.

Good luck,

-Cory 

CORY EICHER
www.eichcorp.com
cory@eichcorp.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
coryeicher
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nick,

Check out this post/thread. 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-maps-sdk-for-unity-questions/data-transformation-flow-from-2d-g...

EDIT: The ArcGIS Pro doc is a good resource, but it does helps if you already have some familiarity with 3D data in the ArcGIS ecosystem. The 3D Analyst extension is useful to do some of this data creation/conversion especially in bulk.

Good luck,

-Cory 

CORY EICHER
www.eichcorp.com
cory@eichcorp.com
0 Kudos
LDD_NW
by
New Contributor II

Hi Cory,

Thanks for your response and the link to your post! I thought I had a good dig around the forum to see if a similar post existed but I somehow missed yours. I will ask any further questions I have in your original post.

Nick 

0 Kudos