Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGISRenderer update function causing significant drop in FPS for Quest 3 builds especially with 3D object scene layers

a week ago
GeoffreyBund
New Contributor II
We're testing our Meta Quest 3 standalone builds more rigorously for Android and noticing an immediate and significant performance reduction when having a tabletop ArcGIS map active in a scene and a 3D layer on it. More specifically, the ArcGISRenderer update and ArcGISTabletopControllerComponent update cause the frame rate to drop from around 70 fps to 35 fps with a building layer and further down to around 20 fps when zooming in or out of the map. This is probably expected but we were wondering if there's a way to optimize the map with layers added for standalone Android builds.

I didn't see any custom material for mobile platforms on the 1.5.0 version of the SDK. Is there something like that available? I had tried changing the material for layers (SceneNode.mat) to disable shadows, enable GPU instancing, and only front side rendering. Didn;t seem to help. I tried with an unlit material but as expected it doesnt show any contours of the building and the users only sees white blobs.

I've tried adjusting the size of the map renderables pool in ArcGISRender at the place where RenderableProvider is instantiated with a size of 500 by default. I assumed this would help with reducing either memory usage or reducing the number of update calls made to the server. But surprisingly it didn't help. I've tested everywhere between 50 and 2000. I've also tried testing changing the throttlemanager bool in a hacky way with no improvement.

Is there a way to adjust for LOD to be lower on Android platforms, or maybe increase the memory buffer for the map somewhere? We've also tried to increase the memory cache for Android on the android manifest for our app but it doesn't seem to be allowed by Unity.

I've followed the instructions for Android on the Unity SDK website so I'm a bit stumped on how to optimize the map so we can get better performance. 
0 Replies