WMS support in ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud?

Jump to solution
05-20-2021 09:15 AM
NicoleSulzberger
Occasional Contributor

Are there any plans to support WMS services in ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud?

According to this documentation they are not: 
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-adobecc/compile-maps/review-errors.htm

We are using ArcGIS Online and import Web Maps into ArcGIS Illustrator. But when I have added a WMS service to the Web Map, this layer cannot be downloaded.

Are there any workarounds?

Thanks for your help!

Nicole 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi Nicole, 

Thank you for reaching out about this. Our road map includes supporting more service types directly through the extension. Please feel free to add this an idea so we can prioritize in development.

For now as a workaround - if you have a Creator or GIS Professional named user account, in ArcGIS Online you should be able to print your webmap as an AIX file from Map Viewer (formerly known as Map Viewer Beta). This print capability is a relatively new capability in ArcGIS Online and can be used to print maps in variety of sizes, formats. Then you can open the AIX file in Illustrator with ArcGIS Maps for Adobe installed. Please give this a try and let me know if it helps? In a quick test with a WMS service publicly available it seems to work. If you continue to experience issues we can dig deeper. Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi Nicole, 

Thank you for reaching out about this. Our road map includes supporting more service types directly through the extension. Please feel free to add this an idea so we can prioritize in development.

For now as a workaround - if you have a Creator or GIS Professional named user account, in ArcGIS Online you should be able to print your webmap as an AIX file from Map Viewer (formerly known as Map Viewer Beta). This print capability is a relatively new capability in ArcGIS Online and can be used to print maps in variety of sizes, formats. Then you can open the AIX file in Illustrator with ArcGIS Maps for Adobe installed. Please give this a try and let me know if it helps? In a quick test with a WMS service publicly available it seems to work. If you continue to experience issues we can dig deeper. Hope it helps.

NicoleSulzberger
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot!! I was able to get an AIX file out, with my WMS service as a background and some features from a FeatureLayer on top - exactly what I need 🙂

Its a bit weird for the users that you have to add a WMS to the WebMap in the old map viewer, open it in the new mapviewer ( where you wont be able to see the WMS background as its not supported yet) and do an export there. But I guess the users will be able to get used to that, and I guess WMS is supported soon in the new MapViewer.

NicoleSulzberger
Occasional Contributor

@MadhuraPhaterpekarwhats a bit sad though is that like this you don't have the attributes in Adobe Illustrator. I hope my customer can live with that at the moment 🙂 Not sure if attributes would help with formatting in Adobe, I am not experienced with Adobe at all.

0 Kudos
NicoleSulzberger
Occasional Contributor

Just a note for other users: for opening AIX files in Adobe you also need the ArcGIS Maps for Adobe installed. I have realized this quite late, as ist not documented on this page, : https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/get-started/print-maps-mv.htm, and I had it on my PC but not my end users.

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi @NicoleSulzberger

Thanks for getting back. Glad it worked for the orig issue. Regarding attributes, thats correct the export does not export any data just the map as graphics. If you have a need to style the graphics in Illustrator based on an attributes then I'd suggest considering an approach of using smart mapping in ArcGIS Online or in the extension to style the map first and then download. This groups graphics with similar appearance under sublayers based on attribute used in style (legend). This need not be the final aesthetic but its a way of grouping together graphics with the same attribute. This approach will works well if a layer is hosted feature layer and is styled based on unique values (type) or counts and amounts. An example is available in this video at 4.30. Would this help what you are trying to accomplish?

0 Kudos
NicoleSulzberger
Occasional Contributor

Hi @MadhuraPhaterpekar thanks, yes I hope we can solve it with that feature. Thanks a lot for your help! bye, Nicole

0 Kudos