Source MXD for ESRI Basemaps

Jump to solution
01-08-2015 07:12 AM
JoshuaChisholm
Occasional Contributor III

Hello!

I am trying to recreate the appearance of two ESRI basemaps ("Streets" and "Light Grey Canvas") with my own vector data. My goal is to produce an MXD with scale dependent layers that will look identical (or at least similar) to the two ESRI basemaps at all 20 preset zoom levels.

Is there a public copy of the MXD(s) or .lyr files that ESRI uses to create basemaps?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LangdonSanders2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the post to the Light Gray Canvas,

Under the Community Maps program there are links to templates though they appear outdated.  It appears the Community Maps program is designed for local authorities to contribute to these basemaps through supported data structures.

Street map template (2010):

Street Map Template Web Mercator | ArcGIS Resource Center

Still looking for a more recent template.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LangdonSanders2
Occasional Contributor

Hello Joshua,

Esri does publish example maps with symbology for different industries and applications.  For example, we are in the process of implementing the Local Government Information Model - (LGIM) this is standardized database scheme with a variety of products consuming the data - such as ArcGIS Online web maps etc. If you explore the gallery the applications will often include the .mxd used to create the underlying map services.

Here is the link to the Local Government Basemaps

The Local Government Basemaps include:

Inside the downloads are .mxd maps that connect to LGIM sample datasets.  You can copy this symbology but will need to apply it to your data structures. These maps assume LGIM compliance so you will likely not be able to use all of the symbols or labeling methods as your data is in a different structure.

I would need to search if Esri has templates for specifically the grey canvas and other basemaps.  I have replicated these through simply symbology settings and looking up RGB values for colors etc.

LangdonSanders2
Occasional Contributor
JoshuaChisholm
Occasional Contributor III

Awesome! Thank you for your help Langdon!!

Your links are SUPER close to what I need. I think I found an exact match for the "Light Gray Canvas" map template.

I'm still searching for an exact match to the "streets" basemap.

LangdonSanders2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the post to the Light Gray Canvas,

Under the Community Maps program there are links to templates though they appear outdated.  It appears the Community Maps program is designed for local authorities to contribute to these basemaps through supported data structures.

Street map template (2010):

Street Map Template Web Mercator | ArcGIS Resource Center

Still looking for a more recent template.