Automate Loading representation rules

Jump to solution
12-12-2017 06:35 AM
AnneVendeløkke_Olsen1
New Contributor III

Dear community.

I would like to load representation rules to featureclasses in an automated way. How is this possible?

Therefor I would like a procedure, where:

1) The cartographers update the representation rule

2) The cartographers update the visual specifications database

3) Off work I would like to automate the procedure of assigning the representation rules, via the visual specifications, to the featureclasses in the database

Updating a featureclass representation is a schema change and therefor no other users must be editing or even looking at the featureclass when this is done. In addition I would preferre that the cartographer should not have advanced rights on the featureclasses in the database.

At the moment we use the GP-tool Calculate Representation Rule (one one feature). However I would like to be able to update the representation rule without in the same process to specify which features this should be assigned to. The schema is one kind of user, while specifying, using and assigning the rep rule is another kind of user (to me). 

I have to stress, that I am new with regards to representations so I might have overlooked something.

Best regards Anne.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnneVendeløkke_Olsen1
New Contributor III

I guess I Have found the answer my self.

Visual Specifications are dynamically updated, when af Representation Rule in the style file is updated.

In order to propagate the change in symbol to relevant featureclasses I will run the Drop Visual Specifications which removes the rep-fields related to the specific specification.

Thereafter I wil run the Calculate Visual Specifications which will re-create the relevant rep-fields, now with information from updated Visual Specifications.

Hopefully this can be done multiple times without a problem - everytime a relevant symbol needs to be modified.

Since it is GP-tools they can be added to a Python script and run nightly.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AnneVendeløkke_Olsen1
New Contributor III

I guess I Have found the answer my self.

Visual Specifications are dynamically updated, when af Representation Rule in the style file is updated.

In order to propagate the change in symbol to relevant featureclasses I will run the Drop Visual Specifications which removes the rep-fields related to the specific specification.

Thereafter I wil run the Calculate Visual Specifications which will re-create the relevant rep-fields, now with information from updated Visual Specifications.

Hopefully this can be done multiple times without a problem - everytime a relevant symbol needs to be modified.

Since it is GP-tools they can be added to a Python script and run nightly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos