Drainage lines precomputed by Esri

Jump to solution
05-21-2020 08:58 AM
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

The ArcGIS Online Create Watersheds tool, permits to extract water catchment areas for points as input layer, based on

drainage lines precomputed by Esri

Are these drainage lines available in any format?

I just found Esri Hydro Reference Overlay, but it's a very small scale data, and I don't think it's the data the watershed tool is based on.

Thank you

Roberto Rossi

Padua University

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CaitlinScopel
New Contributor III

Hi Roberto, thanks for your question. The drainage lines that we used for the Create Watersheds tool are the National Hydrography Dataset Medium Resolution lines from USGS. We do not have these lines available anywhere as a downloadable service, so your best bet would be do go to NHD Plus - NHDPlusV2 Data and download the region you are interested in. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions about the Create Watersheds tool. - cscopel@esri.com

Caitlin Scopel 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CaitlinScopel
New Contributor III

Hi Roberto, thanks for your question. The drainage lines that we used for the Create Watersheds tool are the National Hydrography Dataset Medium Resolution lines from USGS. We do not have these lines available anywhere as a downloadable service, so your best bet would be do go to NHD Plus - NHDPlusV2 Data and download the region you are interested in. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions about the Create Watersheds tool. - cscopel@esri.com

Caitlin Scopel 

0 Kudos
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Caitlin for your kind and quick answer.

I used the ArcGIS Online Create Watersheds tool in Italy, so I imagine there should be global (worldwide) dataset, in addition to the US one (NHDPlus) you showed me. The page you link pointed to couple of links:

National Data
Global Data

but the second one contained just US data (the raster where regarding the great lakes area).

Furthermore, since the tool works online, I imagined there should also be a raster Online service (flow direction) working beneath.

Thank you

Roberto Rossi

0 Kudos
CaitlinScopel
New Contributor III

Hi Roberto, 

I apologize for my small-mindedness. We used the HydroSHEDS data for areas outside of the US. Here is the website where you can find information on the data: USGS HydroSHEDS  and here is the download site USGS HydroSHEDS . 

Sincerely,

Caitlin

0 Kudos
ZhanerkeSharapkhanova
New Contributor

Hello, Caitlin Scopel. I have a question, in the description of this tool #Create watersheds (/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoc.arcgis.com%2Fru%2Farcgis-online%2Fanalyze%2Fcreate-watersh...) it is written that the DEM 90m HydroSHEDS for the whole world is between latitudes 60 N and 56 S. My territory is in the indicated latitude. But I get the following error. Help me please

0 Kudos
CaitlinScopel
New Contributor III

Hi, could you email me directly at cscopel@esri.com and send me the point you are trying to delineate from? I will be able to look at where your point lands in relation to the files we have and figure out what the issue is. Please put your point in a file gdb and zip and then email to me. 

Thanks,

Caitlin

0 Kudos
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

Hi Caitlin Scopel‌,

I took a look to the HydroSHEDS data (the old USGS website doesn't work anymore, I found some information here: https://hydrosheds.org/page/availability )

The required data to extract water catchment are available for download (Drainage directions and DEMs with 3 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec resolution; Flow accumulation with 15 sec, 30 sec) as raster data (ESRI GRID format and BIL format).

My question is: are these data available also as Web layer (i.e. tile layer) in Living Atlas or anywhere? They should be somewhere online if the Create Watersheds geoprocessing tool works processing these data.

My goal is to load on AGOL the flow accumulation in order to be able to identify correctly the outlet.

Roberto

0 Kudos