American Community Survey Table Not Found in Living Atlas

05-16-2022 08:49 PM
AlexanderKelly
New Contributor

I was looking for a specific ACS 2020 5-year estimate table on the Living Atlas, but could not find it (ACS Table C16001). I would like to make a map with the data from this specific table. Can I link ARCGIS online to the census table directly?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
OusmaneNdiaye
New Contributor
I am interested. I can do it
0 Kudos
AlexanderKelly
New Contributor

Thank you. I am specifically looking for census tract level data for Table C16001. I am looking forward to what you find. 

0 Kudos
AlexanderKelly
New Contributor

Were you able to make any progress?

0 Kudos
DianaLavery1
Esri Contributor
Hi Alexander,
We currently do not have that table as part of our Living Atlas offerings, but I will add it to our list of additional tables to consider for the near future.
0 Kudos
JenniferPollom1
New Contributor

I wanted to add my emailed question to this string as well.

I am assisting a colleague with census tract level maps for our agencies Title VI plan which includes mapping of Limited English Proficiency and minority populations.  I searched the Living Atlas data and found two layers that work:

• tract level data from ACS English Ability and Linguistic Isolation Variables – Boundaries and
  • tract level data from ACS Race and Hispanic Origin Variables – Boundaries.

The estimates in the English Ability and Linguistic Isolation layer are from Tables B16003 and B16004 and are not consistent with the data that is readily available on census.gov in Table C16001.  We were provided guidance to use C16001.  I am wondering if either of you know why the C16001 is not part of the API.  Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
DianaLavery1
Esri Contributor

Hello Alexander, Ousmane, Jennifer and others,

We are ramping up for ACS season here on the Living Atlas team, and wanted to follow up on this. Due to your interest and others we've heard from, we added C16001 to the Living Atlas earlier this year!

ACS Specific Language by English Ability (boundaries & centroids)

If you're interested, another one was added too: Educational Attainment by Race and Sex. (Announcement blog here). These layers will be updated with all our other ACS layers in Living Atlas with the 2018-2022 data within a week when it's released from Census, usually in December.

LLyons
by
New Contributor III

Hello! Is there anywhere I can see a list of all the ACS tables that are included in the Living Atlas. There is a list in the FAQs on this American Community Survey (ACS) Hosted Feature Layers page but I'm unable to find out how current it is. Having an updated list would be a big help when we write scopes that include using ACS data in our online maps, so we can give our clients a realistic idea of the budget. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DianaLavery1
Esri Contributor
Thanks LLyons. I added a note at the bottom saying, "Last updated with the 2018-2022 release in Dec. 2023". It's a good idea for us to add a "last updated (date)" on that list, thank you!

0 Kudos