User login area?

02-08-2011 10:42 PM
ChrisBuckmaster1
Occasional Contributor
Hi

I am wondering if anyone has successfully implemented a login area where users have the ability to save graphics or bookmarks or view restricted operational layers based on what login they use?

If not any ideas on how this could be put into practice?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarioObendorfer
New Contributor
Hi,

the features you describe are not magic but a little bit of work 😉

At the beginning on a project like this I'd start to implement a user management ... a configuration software that manages a list with users and the services they are allowed to see/use.

In a second step you can code your client in a way that he gets a configuration file from the user management and connects to the services which are handed over. Here is a little security issue, cause we didn't account yet that AGS rest services are not secured per se -> the access control must be done seperate ... but that's another point.

Step tree would be to implement an interface at your user management that has the capability to save e.g. bookmarks or the extent the map is and send them to the um when the user is logging out of your application. This information can be put in the configuration file for the next user session.

And here we are ... you can extend this approach for your needs. One sidenote at the end of my post ... this aproach has primairy nothing to do with the JS API but can be used ^^ I'm not sure if an user management will be part of the API in some time but atm I see no other way to do what you described. There might be other ways to get parts of this done e.g. config an extra service for every user with it's own layers and secure the service wie proxy and token passing that only this user can access it (no bookmarks but restrictions on operational layers) etc. but the other aproach is more generic and extendable for larger projects.

Greets Tol
0 Kudos
ISSRWEB
New Contributor II
We have done this with an asp.net application using asp.net membership providers. Acess to controlled resources/services are done via roles. Based on the roles they are in, the user has a list of resources that they have access to. We then construct the Toc, tool list etc and customise the app based on what role the user is in.

We do store bookmarks and profile information stored on a per user basis.

We use Wcf services to store bookmarks and other profile information in a database.

If you are interested in a quick and dirty way to store profile information or bookmarks, i would look at wcf data services.....it uses Odata and spits out json, which can be used by your client app. However, security options are limited.

Unfortunately, none of this comes out of the box. I would be happy to share our architecture with you if you email me.
0 Kudos
ChrisBuckmaster1
Occasional Contributor
Thank you both very much for your replies!

issrweb1 I do not have your email address (couldn't find it in your profile) but I would be most grateful if you could send me details for your asp.net application that you have implemented.

My email address is chris.buckmaster@runnymede.gov.uk

Many thanks
0 Kudos