Select to view content in your preferred language

Usage of Google Street View as a custom widget

Jump to solution
11-02-2017 02:00 AM
BugraOtken
New Contributor III

Greetings!

As an information technologies company we are developing apps for municipalities usage. Through their demands, we developed Google Street View app in ArcMap Javascript API. Let me explain what it does:

1. Users can point and drag the Google Yellow Man on GoogleMap in our widget.
  2. The extent of ESRI layers on main Open Street Map changes to the point where users dragged the Yellow Man.
  3. Users can view the surroundings in our app via Google Street View data.

You can view the screenshot of our widget. My question is: Do you think that it violates the terms of Google Street View?

If non-Google map usage is the problem (OSM), does it prevent the violation of terms of Google if we use Google Map as basemap?

I hope Mr. rscheitlin sees and answers this question cause he developed a widget once but gave up distributing it due to the facts of terms of Google Street View.

Thank you in advance,

Bugra

11 Replies
MikeNelson4
New Contributor II

Our manager was able to get someone from Google on the phone. They were familiar with Esri software. Explained what we wanted to do: have an embedded window within ArcMap that brought up Google Maps or Streetview and followed along as user panned around. He said that would be fine as long as we had an API Key and a billable account tied to it. And there may be charges per call based on Google's new pay model with their maps API. He said they were more concerned with bulk download of imagery.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would get that in writing. I personally have been contact by the Google Maps API team and been told of the violation of Google Maps API TOS specific sections when using a Non Google map as the starting point to display a Google StreetView.

0 Kudos