Tiled map service still runs after stopping map service?

Jump to solution
01-03-2013 11:48 PM
ChrisBuckmaster1
Occasional Contributor
Hi

I have a map service that uses a tiled map service layer. When I stopped the service the tiled map layer is still available on my website.

I presumed that the layer would not be accessible because I stopped the service, but it appears as though it still is available - is it just the dynamic map service layer that is unavailable when you stop a map service - am guessing if I was to clear the REST API cache then the tiles might not be available?

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Yes, it would still be possible to view the service if the REST cache has not been cleared.  I would recommend to set the cache to clear periodically. 

From 10.1 onwards ArcGIS Server automatically updates the REST cache  when you add, update or remove services and folders. This eliminates the  need for clearing REST cache manually when a change is made to the  services or folders.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Hi Chris,

Try clearing your browser's cache and then see if you are able to view the cached service.
0 Kudos
ChrisBuckmaster1
Occasional Contributor
Hi Jake

I didn't try to clear my cache but did get someone else to check the service who had not visited it recently and they were able to access it.

If the map service is stopped, can the tiled layer still be accessed in theory or does the map service need to be running? I am just thinking that if I do not clear the cache within the REST API admin area, perhaps the tiles are still available to be viewed even though the service is not running?
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Yes, it would still be possible to view the service if the REST cache has not been cleared.  I would recommend to set the cache to clear periodically. 

From 10.1 onwards ArcGIS Server automatically updates the REST cache  when you add, update or remove services and folders. This eliminates the  need for clearing REST cache manually when a change is made to the  services or folders.
0 Kudos
ChrisBuckmaster1
Occasional Contributor

OK thanks, I actually found it useful that the tiled layer was still available when I stopped the map service as it meant that users could still view it (I had to stop it as I was recreating some of the ArcSDE layers that are used within the service).
0 Kudos