Sub Layers - Question to ESRI

05-19-2013 09:21 AM
ZahidChaudhry
Occasional Contributor III
I want to move most of my apps to HTML -5  and the only reason i dont is that there is no widget for displaying layer list with sublayers. I know there is third party widget but i want to stay away from them and also i dont have time to write one for myself. But my question to ESRI is that rather than providing me samples how to add flickr, please give me a sample thats is more aligned with normal app needs....

Question to ESRI:  Is there a plan to provide a layer list widget that support sublayers? or I should start developing my own?

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
BenFousek
Occasional Contributor III
Hey Derek,
I read Brian Timoney's article last time you linked it when someone asked this same question a while back. I agree with anti-portal sentiments myself as a web user looking for specific information. However, I'd like to make the argument the jsapi should have a TOC widget.

Not everyone is developing applications for the web. Like ACM, I'm not creating applications for the public. I'm developing full featured portals with lots of layers, tools and tasks designed for the intranet. My users have the app open all day and use it for several aspects of the company's operations. Since editing, some more advanced features of the api, html5, etc have come along, I can't keep up with requests for new layers and functionalities.

The TOC is where layer functionality is initiated. Case in point, the ArcGIS Online Map. Layer transparency, layer order, setting scales, etc. In my case identify, query, geoprocessing, editing and more are all initiated through the TOC for services, sub-layers and feature layers.

The jsapi is, in my opinion, the most complete and versatile web mapping api ESRI offers. Combined with everything dojo does it lends itself to creating complex applications. Google Maps is great for creating a feature specific map someone comes across while using a search engine to search for dog parks (not that the jsapi isn't), but GMaps isn't the api to build a full-featured web based GIS primarily using ArcGIS Server and all it's capabilities. Just today I saw Matt Driscoll's post on the upcoming swipe widget, which only goes to show that the jsapi is the api for high functioning web based GIS.

I just feel a TOC is just too critical a component not to be included with the api in some form at this point in its evolution.

As always, keep up the good work.
Ben
0 Kudos