Select to view content in your preferred language

Simple, bare bones, HTML Dojo template

Jump to solution
11-03-2015 02:29 PM
SteveCole
Honored Contributor

I f''ing give up.

ESRI, of course, USED TO provide these in the API samples but they've long been removed. And my link to the previous API SDK downloads no longer works and I can't find an explicit link to the Javascript API as a product anywhere (go ahead, try for yourself).

Anyone know of a link  or a bundle of bare-bones HTML code for layout templates for new apps? You know, TOC left side w header/footer, TOC right size w header/footer, etc.

I just want the HTML + CSS so I can quickly get started with an app and have the various blocks on the page play nice with each other.

Thanks-

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Steve Cole​ sounds like you are talking about creating a page layout using the dojo layout widgets. If so dojo has a tutorial showing how to use them here:

Layout with Dijit - Dojo Toolkit Tutorial

And here's a link to a sample that uses the dojo layout widgets:

Directions | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

You can find downloads for older versions of the api (including SDK) here:

SDK Downloads | ArcGIS for Developers

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MikkelHylden
Regular Contributor

I don't know about dojo templates, and agree that so far they are difficult to work with (not having all the declares match something in my function declaration, for instance, was a trip up). 

As for a javascript API documentation link, I have the following bookmarked, and have been able to get some basic custom functionality going based on that:

ArcGIS API for JavaScript

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I have that bookmarked but, as I mentioned, any samples with respect to laying out your app, were removed several API versions ago. I was looking for something akin to this which I guess is what I'll have to rely on now.

In the good old days of documentation (crap- did I just type that?), you could search "two panel layout" or "three panel layout" and get what I'm referring to.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Steve Cole​ sounds like you are talking about creating a page layout using the dojo layout widgets. If so dojo has a tutorial showing how to use them here:

Layout with Dijit - Dojo Toolkit Tutorial

And here's a link to a sample that uses the dojo layout widgets:

Directions | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

You can find downloads for older versions of the api (including SDK) here:

SDK Downloads | ArcGIS for Developers

SteveCole
Honored Contributor

Kelly Hutchins​ Thanks for the updated link to the previous APIs. That's one of the things I was trying to find to no avail. Yes- I am referring to the dojo layout widgets. It really shouldn't be that hard to develop this but I ALWAYS have issues when I do- JSFiddle

As you can see, the left panel doesn't just take up the left side and the #&!^ map never expands to 100%.

I don't understand why "you" (ESRI team, not you specifically) have decided that something like this is no longer needed as part of the samples collection. I know ESRI wants us all using WebApp Developer and AGOL/Portal but that's not always an option. Clearly I have issues rewriting this legacy demo into AMD style but you guys can bang this out in 2 minutes and we all benefit.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Honored Contributor

Having vented at all that, through trial & error I just discovered that adding parser.parse() finally made everything look the way it's supposed to.

0 Kudos
RudyStricklan
Deactivated User

Steve, you may want to check out the Configurable Map Viewer, the closest thing you'll currently find to a vanilla JavaScript API viewer template. It was written by some ex-Esri gurus, and has a GitHub site to boot.

Rudy Stricklan

MikeEms
Deactivated User

I have found a lot of great help by using their tests as examples instead of looking for tutorials or relying on the API reference.

BorderContainer DOH Test

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Honored Contributor

Thanks Rudy Stricklan

I'll bookmark it, for sure, and it's kinda funny because I ran across a site built upon this template a couple weeks ago (though I didn't know it at the time). The only "knock" I have against it is that it starts to look too "GIS-y" like a GeoCortex product, which is something I try to avoid in my webmaps.

Anyways, thanks for that link!

Steve

0 Kudos