Select to view content in your preferred language

Show popups without moving map

07-21-2011 01:35 PM
BenReilly
Emerging Contributor
I have an issue with the way popups display in the javascript api. I can't get popups to show up for my feature layers unless the map is moved first. I need to make a map that has disabled scrolling, so how can I get popups to display without the map moving first?
0 Kudos
25 Replies
derekswingley1
Deactivated User
A repro case would be very helpful.
0 Kudos
BenReilly
Emerging Contributor
Derek, here's a copy of the map I'm working on that has the problem.

http://arcviewdev.uww.edu/javamap.html

(And before anyone says anything, yes, I'm aware of the errors with my data. They've been fixed on a more recent version)

Hopefully that will help.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
Derek, here's a copy of the map I'm working on that has the problem.

http://arcviewdev.uww.edu/javamap.html

(And before anyone says anything, yes, I'm aware of the errors with my data. They've been fixed on a more recent version)

Hopefully that will help.

I opened the map in chrome.  Clicking on the poly's pops open the popup, no map moving ever.  ??
0 Kudos
BenReilly
Emerging Contributor
I opened the map in chrome.  Clicking on the poly's pops open the popup, no map moving ever.  ??

I'm wondering if this is a browser compatibility issue, then. I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 at work, I'll try the current version of Firefox 4 tomorrow. To everyone else with a problem, what browser are you using? I don't think the popups worked with our version of IE, either.
0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
It works in Chrome 13 and IE 8 but not in Firefox 5. Basically, you need to interact with the map first by zooming or panning before the onclick returns something. I had this problem in Flex and got around it by adding in an alert box in the initialization. Closing the alert box provided the map interaction necessary to allow the map click to work without panning or zooming.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
It works in Chrome 13 and IE 8 but not in Firefox 5. Basically, you need to interact with the map first by zooming or panning before the onclick returns something. I had this problem in Flex and got around it by adding in an alert box in the initialization. Closing the alert box provided the map interaction necessary to allow the map click to work without panning or zooming.

I think this is an error in the api .  If you switch to v2.4 it works crossbrowser
0 Kudos
StephenLead
Honored Contributor
To everyone else with a problem, what browser are you using?

It's not working for me in IE8, Chrome 13 or Firefox 5 - I need to move the map first before the popup works.

Hope this helps,
Steve
0 Kudos
BenReilly
Emerging Contributor
I think this is an error in the api .  If you switch to v2.4 it works crossbrowser

You're right- I switched to 2.4 from 2.3 and I now don't have to move the map. Thanks for the tip- hopefully that works for the rest of you.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
Any time.   We skipped 2.3 completely, it seem a little buggy.  2.4 has been rock solid for us since it came out.
0 Kudos
DavidMurray
Emerging Contributor
I am using v2.4 but still have the same problem when using all browsers.
0 Kudos