Saving user drawings  to server

06-25-2012 02:43 AM
viktorleonov
New Contributor
Hi, i am new to Arcgis and i have some questions.
I ve read manuals for JS Api about drawing shapes on map. The problem is i dont know how to save them to arcgis server.
I understand that i can save all the data (points polygons etc) to my server database and than adding it dynamically to the map on a client, but i want to save all this data directly to my map(like arcgis web map creation tool here http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.htm).

So the questions are : How can i do that? Can i do that on arcgis test servers(for my testing purposes)?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
viktorleonov
New Contributor
0 Kudos
viktorleonov
New Contributor
Maybe i can use a Webmap for this puprposes. I ve read that i need some kind of feature service to do this, but i dont know how to get it.
0 Kudos
viktorleonov
New Contributor
so, i guess its impossible?
0 Kudos
AxelSchaefer
New Contributor II
On which tier do you want to save the user-drawing?

a) Webbrowser? HTML 5?
b) Webserver? Session/Extra database?
c) Application Server? webservice to storage?
d) Database Server? classic editing workflow via webservices?

Regards,
Axel
0 Kudos
viktorleonov
New Contributor
thx for reply.
I want to save this data to argis server database, so that all geometry is loaded automatically(for example here http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/47348-How-to-save-the-drawing-done-on-the-map-by-user?highlight=sav... people suggest to save all the drawings data to my own databse as json and than load it on the client machine)

So i guess its d)Arcgis Database Server? classic editing workflow via webservices.
0 Kudos
viktorleonov
New Contributor
So how can i acomplish this? At this time I can only use web maps, to make some test applications, so I will be glad to see an example of saving drawings to server via web maps.
In very short period we are going to use arcgis server and so we are going to implement this functionality on that one too.
0 Kudos