Select to view content in your preferred language

Routing error from server

05-28-2015 07:32 AM
AndrewGianikas
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone, I have an error being returned from our Arcgis server for routing services and I am trying to get some clarity on what it means.  The server is set up for routing, we have a custom map set up and we are not using any ESRI basemaps.   

"No route from location "Location 1" to location "Location 2".  No solution found. "

This error is intermittent, it happens with some routes, but does not happen with others.  It appears that the server is simply unable to connect the starting point to the destination with a route.  There are certain areas of the map you can not get into or out of with routes, I believe there is missing/incomplete data on the map/routing service causing this. 

Again I am just looking for a bit of clarity on the error so I know how to proceed with getting this fixed.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Could it be that the centerline file that your routing is based on could have some snapping issues?

0 Kudos
AndrewGianikas
Occasional Contributor

Tim, I am simply a developer....  I did not set up the server/map/routing service.  I have an unresponsive coworker who set these things up so I am trying to gain a better understanding of what is going on so I can find a way to get this resolved and finish the project.

The other thing I am seeing is that many of the route take you way across the map and then back again, avoiding intersections, when if it would simply use that intersection the route would be 1/10th the distance.  There seems to be issues with intersections all over the map.  I know very little about the server side structure of the maps and routing so this is difficult for me to speak intelligently about it.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

That's understandable.

Looking at what the routing does, it really sounds like the lines are not snapped, which means if the lines don't touch the routing task thinks those streets do not intersect and it routes them around these intersection.

Sadly there isn't anything you can do if that is the case.

0 Kudos
AndrewGianikas
Occasional Contributor

See the attached image.  This is one such area that we can not get routes into our out of, and the lines to not intersect (see area within red outline)

map.jpg

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

That is what I am talking about, lines not snapped. The person who maintains the line features needs to fix all those areas and then whoever creates the routing service needs to re-create it once lines are fixed.

AndrewGianikas
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Tim, this is very helpful. 

0 Kudos
AndrewGianikas
Occasional Contributor

What about the error "cannot do 3d operations on curved segments"?  For routes that  cause this error... if i comment out "routeParams.returnDirections = true;" / if I don't ask the server for the directions info (turn by turn text, distance, etc) this error does not happen.  This is intermittent happens with less than 10% of route requests and I can't find any pattern. Any thoughts? 

0 Kudos