Select to view content in your preferred language

publishing hyperlinks to PDF, DOC on map - service, automated refreshing of the map

05-17-2014 04:41 AM
mb1
by
New Contributor
Dear All,
I am not a developer, I work as a manager of the project that looks for a new functionalities.

We would like to place on the interactive map hyperlinks to the documents that are uploaded by our users to specified catalog (internal network). DOC and PDF files with specified GEO-location in metadata (TAGs). Location precised to country or city level.

We need automatic sollution (based on service) that refresh the map after upload of new document.

Currently I am looking for simple answer if it is possible or not. If so - how to do that? Is there any out-of-the-box sollution?

Regards,
airwolf
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mb1
by
New Contributor
Anyone? Any idea?
0 Kudos
SunilPalkar
Occasional Contributor
Hello Airwolf,

Your question is still unclear to me if possible explain with an example ,we used this kind of map where user uploads CSV file and immediately he can see those points on map including attribute information. You can see such demo on https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/jssamples/exp_dragdrop.html

Anyone? Any idea?
0 Kudos
mb1
by
New Contributor
Hello Airwolf,

Your question is still unclear to me if possible explain with an example ,we used this kind of map where user uploads CSV file and immediately he can see those points on map including attribute information. You can see such demo on https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/jssamples/exp_dragdrop.html

Hi. Thanks for your answer!

My goal is to place on map one marker for each file located in given catalog (hyperlink), in automatic way. Files (DOC, PDF) contains reports. Location is described in TAG field in metadata of DOC/PDF. Location of marker should be based on that tag field which is in properties of the file (metadata). I need a kind of service, cause I want this to happen every time somebody will copy a new file to our given catalog.

Another way would be to publish a list of files in particular place of the map (list of hyperlinks to them), and refresh it every time somebody would copy a new file to our given catalog (file that has specified in metadata the same place as the list that is placed on the map).

THE MAP SHOULD WORK AS AN INTERFACE HELPING TO ACCESS OUR REPORTS SAVED IN DOC/PDF.

Is that more clear?

It is not to publish on the map what is inside the file (CSV or other), it is to publish on map hyperlinks to fils based on locations that are listed in metadata of DOC or PDF.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
the short answer is no.  There is nothing out of the box that does this.

From a high level, you need points on a map that have a hyperlink attribute to the document

You can serve points for a map in three ways
1. As points from a shapefile/geodatabase/SDE
2. csv file from a spreadsheet
3. json list of coordinates and then as graphics

The hard part will be extracting the location information from the meta fields.  you will have to do that, the javascript API does not provide that functionality.

You will basically have to (on some schedule)
1.mine your document repository,
2.extract the locations and file paths,
3.create a table of hyperlink, x, and y
4.serve that table as a spatial set of points
5. enable the hyperlink functionality.

sounds like a nice compact project but one that will require lots of custom code to fit your environment

good luck
jeff
0 Kudos