Printing without user interaction (or triggering)?

Jump to solution
06-26-2012 09:04 AM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
Is is possible to "print" without having a user initiate the process by clicking a button? From my review of the API documentation, it appears to me that it is required to have a dijit button on your web map to set up some of the printing parameters and then the click event of the button is what triggers the actual print event.

I'm hoping I can trigger a print event in another fashion such as a when my page has been idle for a certain amount of time or perhaps loses focus. Under the current structure of the API, I don't think this is possible. These circumstances seem odd but I have a reason for doing it this way.

Thanks!
Steve
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Yes, you can do this with the print task. Our samples focus on the print widget because this is what the large majority of our users have requested.

The print task works like the other tasks in the API??? specify a URL and parameters, call execute method and once the task finishes, the result (in this cause, a URL for the print output) is passed to the callback function supplied to execute.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Yes, you can do this with the print task. Our samples focus on the print widget because this is what the large majority of our users have requested.

The print task works like the other tasks in the API??? specify a URL and parameters, call execute method and once the task finishes, the result (in this cause, a URL for the print output) is passed to the callback function supplied to execute.
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
Excellent, thanks Derek. I'll look into the Print Task.
0 Kudos