JS Api in sandbox

09-14-2014 07:28 AM
RichardHughes3
New Contributor III

Hello JavaScript API community,

I've began working through the Javascipt Web and Mobile Applications book/tutorial to submerge myself in the API.  In the lessons it asks us to use the JavaScript sandbox to test and develop code for each lesson.  I've been running into a wall and it really frustrating because I just want to get to making an html5 site with the api.

1.  In the sandbox I cannot get events to fire.  Alerts do not work.  Feature Layers do not load to the map.  Does the sandbox not support AMD module      loading?  If not, should I even try to use the sandbox?

2.  In the book the examples point to sample servers from esri.  Some are available and some are not.  Is there are place on the developer site where the

information about running sample servers is maintained?

3.  As a beginning javascript developer and junior level python developer, where does esri recommend that I begin with the api?  The sample codes I look      at match what I am doing, yet things just are not working.  I can work with map service layers but that is about it at this point.  There is some sort of      major bug I am missing.

I should mention that making a web map is not my goal here.  I am going to be making maps using the api and available sample servers.  When I can do this, I plan on learning the proxy so that I can access my unshared protected services.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey Richard,

when you talk about the sandbox, are you talking about this?

ArcGIS API for JavaScript Sandbox

1) I am using the sandbox a lot and everything works fine, maybe there is something missing in your code and that is why it is not working? I recommend using notepad++, create an html document and put it in your wwwroot folder. With this you can open your map in chrome or firefox and use the developer tools to see whats wrong with your code.

2) You can test the services by putting them into your browser. http://sampleserver1.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services

If you can see them, then they work and there must be something wrong with your code.

3) I started by learning html and javascript through codeacademy. Once I felt comfortable with javascript I started here: Tutorials | ArcGIS API for JavaScript  and then build from there.

Hope this helps!

Tim

0 Kudos