Javascript newb, where do I go to learn?

10-22-2013 07:56 AM
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor
Hi everyone,
I'm a desktop user but I want to get into developing apps. My department is paying for ArcGIS server training courses (already took one, got another one scheduled for next week) so I'm sure that will help. My problem is that I am new to Javascript and am wondering about the best way to get started with it with respect to the ArcGIS Javascript API. How much JS knowledge would some of you suggest before going down this road? And where would to recommend a newb go to attain that level of knowledge?

Thanks all!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor
In addition to the ArcGIS JS API docs, I think there are a couple of great free resources.
A great starter is Eloquent JavaScript. It's a great intro to JS.

Since the API is built using Dojo, another good addition is the Dojo site.

Although the Dojo docs have improved greatly over the past few years, I still find they are lacking in a lot of details when you really start digging in. It would help immensely if you also took a look around the sitepen  site and their blog.

Some good links from their site.
http://www.sitepen.com/blog/2012/11/07/dojo-tutorial-dojo-start/
http://www.sitepen.com/blog/2012/12/06/learning-dojo-1-8/
0 Kudos
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III
Esri has also training sessions in ArcGIS JavaScript
0 Kudos
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor
Esri has also training sessions in ArcGIS JavaScript

Yeah but I only have 1 of the 3 prereqs:

Completion of ArcGIS 4: Sharing Content on the Web or equivalent knowledge is required.
Programming experience using JavaScript and HTML is required.
Completion of Introduction to the ArcGIS for Server REST API or equivalent knowledge is recommended.

That's why I am asking where to get the basic knowledge 🙂
0 Kudos
JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III
I'm nearly a complete programming newb myself (I took a Python course a few years ago but that's it). I started by getting a Javascript book and reading through it. When I was starting to learn, Code Academy started up as well. Its not a bad resource. Interactive and free, so always a plus. It helped me more than the book. I would love to find a basic Javascript class that I could do in person with a teacher...I'm not great at learning on my own.

But I've been plugging away for some time now, probably a good year or so. I've hit some major bumps along the way, and restarted a time or two, but I'm now making progress. I still have days where I look at the forums or documentation and my head spins, but its all about just jumping in and trying your best. You'll get there. There are definitely some great resources out there.

I will admit, I tend to stick to doing things where there are samples already made. Its much easier to change a few lines to fit your own data than to do things from scratch.
0 Kudos
NumaGremling
New Contributor
Yeah but I only have 1 of the 3 prereqs:

Completion of ArcGIS 4: Sharing Content on the Web or equivalent knowledge is required.
Programming experience using JavaScript and HTML is required.
Completion of Introduction to the ArcGIS for Server REST API or equivalent knowledge is recommended.

That's why I am asking where to get the basic knowledge 🙂

You should definitely not walk into that class without the prerequisites (although I think that the Sharing Content on the Web training is not entirely necessary �?? you can build applications not having taken that class/you know how to publish).

I started learning all this about 5 months ago. I first picked up a book about HTML and CSS, and then I tackled a book about JavaScript. Both were excellent resources to get started. I then took a Web GIS class in my master�??s program (although we only looked at JavaScript for about 4 hours). After that I took the JavaScript API Training, and here is where I will warn you. As a beginner that training will only be beneficial if you have seriously looked at the API before and if you have banged your head against the wall for many hours. Unfortunately the training does not explain how to build an application from scratch, nor does it explain the absolute minimum that you need to watch out for when looking at samples. It is really aimed towards web developers or towards people with a very good understanding of development. Since that training I have been looking at the API constantly and I have been working on applications and now I keep going back to that training to look up certain things or understand them better. I wish I had walked into that training with the right questions. So, long story short:

- teach yourself (at leat the basics of) HTML/CSS/JavaScript, or ideally take a class in it
- start looking at the API
-  take the training

And generally, do not feel shy to use the forums, even if you think you are asking something very basic. Most questions you will be looking up have been asked somewhere on the Internet, but if they haven�??t, ask them yourself; future beginners will be happy to read the discussions.
0 Kudos
SunilPalkar
Occasional Contributor
Go though following books

Very useful for you :

Book Chapters �?? ArcGIS Server API for JavaScript

http://www.geospatialtraining.com/blog/?page_id=1862

ArcGIS Web Development (not published yet but I ordered it ..good reference you )

blog : http://odoe.net/blog/?p=483

http://www.manning.com/rubalcava/

hope it will helps you..
0 Kudos