JavaScript API - Indigenous syllabics in web map labels

03-16-2023 11:47 AM
colelwhite
New Contributor II

I've encountered an issue while trying to display Indigenous syllabics as labels in a web map. I'm using ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.26 and attempting to display point features derived from a CSVLayer.

What I'm finding is that the label containing these characters will not display at all, and it appears that any other labels near it on the screen will consequently also not display. (The syllabics, do, however, display with no problems in popups, elsewhere on my website, and within the csv file I'm using as a data source.)

To illustrate the issue, here are a couple screenshots of what my map looks like when I don't try to incorporate syllabics into a label (just the pop-up). I've highlighted the feature that's relevant to my problem.

The labels look fine when I opt not to include syllabics:

colelwhite_0-1678991001847.png

The pop up successfully displays syllabics:

colelwhite_1-1678991076619.png

However, if I attempt to incorporate syllabics into the label (so it would read 'AlterEden ᒥᓄᑭᐣ ᑭᑎᑲᓂᐢ' on the map - just like the title of the pop-up), the entire label as well as those around it vanishes. (note: the text near the point in the screenshot below is from the basemap, not a label).

colelwhite_2-1678991228104.png

The effect is even more pronounced if I zoom out on my map (which encompasses all of Canada) - all of the eastern half of the country is now missing its labels, apparently because of that one feature label in Ontario containing syllabics.

colelwhite_3-1678991290688.png

I've tried the following with no luck:

•  Using several different fonts (Noto, Ubuntu, Arial)
  •  Updating to the most recent version of the API
  •  Viewing the map in various mobile and desktop browsers

My data is going to be incorporated into a public-facing web map, and I would love to be able to include these characters to better represent the businesses we're profiling. I'd really appreciate any ideas anyone might have for a solution or workaround to address this.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey @colelwhite, thanks for posting your question here. What specific indigenous language are you wanting to label?

0 Kudos
colelwhite
New Contributor II

Hi @Noah-Sager - I'm looking for Cree syllabics. Thanks!

0 Kudos