Select to view content in your preferred language

Integrating ArcGIS Maps SDK for JavaScript with React for Dynamic Map Image Layer Creation

03-07-2024 08:11 AM
2spatial
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am new in React and I'm currently working on a React project that involves using the ArcGIS Maps SDK for JavaScript in conjunction with React to dynamically generate map layers based on user-selected parameters. Despite following the documentation and various examples, I'm encountering difficulties in successfully creating and displaying these dynamic layers.

The core of the implementation revolves around a custom React hook (makeMapImageLayer) designed to create a MapImageLayer based on selected options and parameters from the global state. This layer is then intended to be added to a map component (ArcGISMap) rendered in a React component.

Here's an overview of the relevant parts of my code:

Custom Hook: makeMapImageLayer.ts

// Import statements...
const useMakeMapImageLayer = () => {
  // Hook logic...
  // Function to calculate queryParams...
  // Function to create the layer...
  // Effect to update runQueryOptions...
  return () => createLayer();
};
export default useMakeMapImageLayer;

Map Component: MapView.tsx

// Import statements...
const ArcGISMap = () => {
  // Component logic...
  const makeDynMapImgLayer = useMakeMapImageLayer(); // Usage of the custom hook
  useEffect(() => {
    // Map and View initialization...
    if (isRunQueryClicked) { 
      // Layer creation and manipulation...
      const layer = makeDynMapImgLayer();
    };
  }, [])
}

Despite this setup, the dynamic map layer does not render. It fails The layer creation seems to proceed without errors, but the resulting layer does not appear on the map. I suspect the issue might lie in how I'm integrating the ArcGIS SDK with React's lifecycle or possibly in the way I'm managing state and effects, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause. 

Has anyone here worked with the ArcGIS Maps SDK for JavaScript and React in a similar manner? I'm particularly interested in any insights or suggestions on how to ensure the dynamic layer is correctly created and added to the map. Additionally, if there are best practices for managing such dynamic content within React's framework when using ArcGIS SDK, I'd greatly appreciate learning about them.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @2spatial  have you tried to repro this in a vanilla JS app? That will help sort out the basic JS Maps SDK coding flow and potentially identify if/where React might be tripping things up. And even though you didn't get any errors, here's our Troubleshooting guide for local builds. If you did try vanilla JS, then you'll need to provide a simple Stackblitz, codesandbox or github repo.

If you can get this working in its simplest form in a basic React app, then it's easier to migrate the code to more advanced React patterns. Our ESM samples are a great starting point to provide a repro case because they have minimal dependencies.

0 Kudos