How would I customize a map tool so as to be able to enter x,y coordinates manually to create an object such as a point and zoom to it?

11-13-2019 02:15 AM
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

How would I customize a map tool so as to be able to enter x,y coordinates manually to create an object such as a  point and zoom to it?

I have the simple code below:

on(dom.byId("btnFindCoordinates"), "click", function() {
          map.graphics.clear();
          var x = dom.byId("xCoord").value;
          var y = dom.byId("yCoord").value;
          var coordPoint = new Point(x,y);
          prjParams.geometries = [coordPoint];
          map.centerAndZoom(coordPoint, 11);
          map.graphics.add(new Graphic(coordPoint, markerSymbol));

});

But not sure how I would add this into the map, I am aware that I want to write a .js file like the attached in order to work with our cityworks map! I highly appreciate if someone can help me to write the code above similar to the attached in order to add it the our map.

Thank you in advance

Best

Majdoleen

2 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Majdoleen Awadallah,

Recently, I did create a little app - with the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.x - with a custom tool to enter WGS84 Coordinates to zoom to a certain point, see screen capture attached.

You can find (the source code of) the app here:

ArcGIS JavaScript Tutorial - Go to Latitude/Longitude

I hope this provides you with some inspiration to integrate this functionality in your app.

Cheers,

Egge-Jan

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you so much for sharing your sample, uniformly I am new to API and trying to write the js file, but I think it will cost me a lot of time. I highly appreciate if you can guide meto write your code equivalent to the one I attached in my question.

Thank you in advance

Best

Majdoleen