Select to view content in your preferred language

GPS Points Intersection with Buffer Polygons

07-19-2016 06:52 AM
saurabhgupta2
Emerging Contributor

Hi

I am trying to create a safety mechanism for rail employees. I have live feed of GPS coordinates of trains( for whole country) and 100 buffers. I need to trigger an alert if any of the GPS point enter into any of these buffer polygon. How I can approach this problem?

Thanks

Saurabh

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Saurabh,

I would start by merging all 100 buffers to one feature/geometry that way you can do a spatial query on each train gps point against the one polygon (merged buffers) each time you get new gps results.

0 Kudos
saurabhgupta2
Emerging Contributor

Robert,

There are two hurdles i can see in the merging all the buffers and then intersecting one by one. First these buffers are independent identity ( represents locations for workers). The application needs to send the buffers ID along with intersecting GPS point ID as an Alert. If more than one instance of buffer is found then multiple pairs will be send. I am not sure merging will help me get different buffer ID and their intersecting GPS ID  and more over GPS point will be in thousands and i need to generate simultaneous alerts. Iterating one by one wont solve the problem.

If some how i could interest all the buffer and gps point ( something like spatial joins in arcmap) that might solve the problem.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would have to agree with Steve then the GeoEvent server sounds like the best match for your scenario.

0 Kudos
saurabhgupta2
Emerging Contributor

Robert,

Can you please explain the same in bit detail, so that simultaneous alerts can be triggered for all such intersections. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Saurabh,

This is the type of stuff the GeoEvent server is designed for. You define GeoFences (your buffers) and when a trigger (your trains) intersect the GeoFence you can run some code. You need to look at product info about GeoEvent Server and search esris website as then has been several video and presentation about it.

0 Kudos
saurabhgupta2
Emerging Contributor

Robert,

Thanks for the explanation. I will take a look to it. I have just one more question regarding the same. What is the most efficient way out to show real time GPS points on map. Currently I am creating the gps points graphics every 30 sec and adding to graphic layer( as right now i have 3 trains in my POC), but i fear if the number of gps locations( trains) will increase ( In actual scenario) then this approach wont be the best one. Can you suggest on the same.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

This is what the GeoEvent server is designed for as well:

GeoEvent Extension | ArcGIS for Server

saurabhgupta2
Emerging Contributor

Robert,

Thanks . I will look into GeoEvent Extension

Saurabh

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Honored Contributor

I hate to go all ESRI sales person but this sounds like a perfect use scenario for the GeoEvent extension for ArcGIS Server. Short of that, I suppose you could incorporate a windows.setInterval based on some acceptable interval (1 minute? 30sec?) where you query the current location against the polygons in order to determine if you should warn the person of an approaching train.