Select to view content in your preferred language

ESRI JS API Internationalization (I18N)

09-15-2016 04:46 PM
CameronBlandy
Occasional Contributor

I have created a Shortlist Story Map for our City. The application shows various community services available to the public. 

I would like to be able to translate the Title, Subtitle and the popup contents to a number of languages. Firstly, is this even possible? If so, how would one go about implementing this? I am assuming this would be a ton of work so just trying to ascertain what level of effort is required.

I look forward to your responses.

Cameron

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi Cameron

If you have downloaded the Shortlist code and self-hosted it, you may be able to include a Google Translate widget but I don't know the technical details of this. Here's an example I found that uses a self-hosted instance of the Story Map Series app template: The TransNet Story   See the language switcher in the top right hand corner.  This doesn't seem to translate the popups in the web map (although note that the Story Map Shortlist doesn't use standard popups for its place content). 

The more common approach we've seen in bilingual story maps is to make two different versions of the app, and provide a control to let end users switch between them. For example here's a Shortlist example Shortlist Salzburg . Click the link in the top right to switch to the German language. And in this Story Map Journal, the authors customized it to add a cover page that presents a language choice: Sarayaku: in defense of territory 

Here are some more examples from the Story Maps Gallery: Gallery | Story Maps 

Perhaps others who have multiple language requirements or experience with these approaches can share their thoughts here too.

Rupert