Editing - Can I edit only attributes without displaying map?

12-11-2012 01:27 PM
cristiBJ
New Contributor III
Is there a way to update the attributes, not geometry, without user clicking on map?
My service request system needs a lot of editing(follow up), I need an interface for users to just query that service request id, then
updates data. At this time we do not need map.

Currently, we can only edit by clicking on the feature layer, bring up infowindow, and applyedits. It is time-consuming and slow.
I am thinking about to query the SQLExpress database, but when I open the tables in SQLExpress, the data is not synchronized with the ArcMap data. 
I am stuck here. Who can help? Many Thanks.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
cristiBJ
New Contributor III
Anyone know something about this?
Just found out, we have to click "Compress" from ArcCatalog "Database Server" connection to compress the database to synchronize data.(between sql express and map service).
Can this happen automatically?
0 Kudos
cristiBJ
New Contributor III
No one answered so far, I wonder if this is normal thinking?
0 Kudos
JoanSteinbacher
New Contributor III
I need the same capability. The person that creates the feature in the feature class is different than those who maintain the feature attributes. I was hoping to create some kind of form that my attribute editors can access for editing purposes. They don't need the map, they'll query by unique id to populate the editing form.
0 Kudos
KeG
by
New Contributor II
not a viable solution in all cases but - you can split the attributes into another table away from the spatial table. Both would be joined by a unique id and you can create an ArcSDE view to show all of the attributes as if they were from the same table. Then you can make the attribute edits against a straight (non-spatial) db table using whatever means you would use for that (ado.net).
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Is there a way to update the attributes, not geometry, without user clicking on map?
My service request system needs a lot of editing(follow up), I need an interface for users to just query that service request id, then
updates data. At this time we do not need map.

Currently, we can only edit by clicking on the feature layer, bring up infowindow, and applyedits. It is time-consuming and slow.
I am thinking about to query the SQLExpress database, but when I open the tables in SQLExpress, the data is not synchronized with the ArcMap data. 
I am stuck here. Who can help? Many Thanks.

If you want to go the route of querying the SQL Express database, take a look at creating a versioned view.   They allow you to read or edit versioned data in a geodatabase table or feature class using SQL.  Here is more some more information:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//006z000000vp000000
0 Kudos
cristiBJ
New Contributor III
Exactly, I already have a ASP script to read/write SDE /SQL Express tables. I just need the SQL Express has synchronized data.

I need the same capability. The person that creates the feature in the feature class is different than those who maintain the feature attributes. I was hoping to create some kind of form that my attribute editors can access for editing purposes. They don't need the map, they'll query by unique id to populate the editing form.
0 Kudos
cristiBJ
New Contributor III
Thank you VBAHole for the posting. I understand the idea but not sure how to implement.
I am stilling researching, I will report here once I have a solution.
0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III
shouldn't be too difficult to use the selectFeatures method on a featureLayer (or maybe queryTask not sure), then pass the results to an attributeInspector...all outside the map. Some identifier will have to be added to the feature attribute table when the feature is created by team1, which indicates that attributes still need to be added.

Team 2 loads your form, which could auto-query for all features with the above identifier, and onAttributeChange, the attribute edits are applied & the identifier is cleared.

I don't see any reason to do this outside of the JS API (SQL, PHP, ect...) especially when all the tools are right here, with accessible reference and samples. Sounds like a fun project.
0 Kudos
ReneeMaxwell
Occasional Contributor
I use the method described by dbecker above and it works fine. I have a page that loads data from a non-spatial table in SDE as a feature layer. Whenever a feature is selected, the attribute inspector is displayed and the user can edit values there.
0 Kudos