Creating and Populating a Map on SharePoint

08-15-2014 08:22 AM
kellenober
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to using/working with SharePoint.  I'm having trouble trying to figure out what's the best way to implement the creation of a map that is populated with information given to me on an excel spreadsheet.  The information given to me contains address information for the facilities currently being used by my agency.  I want to be able to plot these facilities as points on a map that will be contained on my SharePoint site.  I already have an ESRI web map installed (SharePoint admin installed) and I uploaded all the information on the excel spreadsheet to a SharePoint list.  My methodology was to install ESRI maps for SharePoint, geocode the addresses, and then plot the information on the maps (seems simple enough right?).  The problem is that I have heard through the grapevine that you need SharePoint server in order to install and use ESRI maps for SharePoint and I currently have only SharePoint 2010 workspace.  Can someone confirm that I need server?  Is there any way I can do the same process with workspace 2010?  If not, can someone provide me with a small tutorial on how to geocode the SharePoint lists and plot the geocoded information as points on my map?

Thanks,

K

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kellenober
New Contributor II

Does anyone have a solution?

0 Kudos
kellenober
New Contributor II

Okay Update:

ESRI maps for SharePoint may not be a viable option so I was thinking about using JS to create a web map using the following source code: http://spgooglemapswpforspl.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest.  The problem I have here is how can I create layers, change the symbol styles, etc...  I also want to dynamically link the map to my SharePoint Lists.

-K

0 Kudos