Select to view content in your preferred language

Code Assist Plugin for the 3.10 JS API and Visual Studio 2013?

07-31-2014 12:26 PM
DennisGeasan
Occasional Contributor II

Will ESRI be providing a Code Assist Plugin for Visual Studio 2013?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It looks like there wasn't a plugin for 3.9 made available here. I'm wondering if they've stopped doing that since

Note: these plug-ins do not yet support code that loads JS API modules using AMD due to the nature of how modules are aliased once loaded.

0 Kudos
DennisGeasan

I attended the JS API short course at the UC this year.  The issue with AMD seems to also be a problem with the code assist plugin for WebStorm.  Many of the DOJO classes would display single letter parameter names in the WS Intellisense which of course made no sense at all!!.  It looks like ESRI, or somebody, needs to define aliases for the DOJO aliases.  Perhaps I was missing a DOJO code assist plugin?

The class instructor told me he intended to chat with the ESRI JS API team to see if they will be providing an updated Plugin for Visual Studio.  Not sure how far that will go.  I spent some time pestering the JS API people at the UC and learned that none of their team has ever worked with Visual Studio.  And none of the ArcGIS Runtime API people have worked with the ESRI JavaScript API in Visual Studio.  So, as usual, I'm skating on the bleeding edge. VS is a really great IDE and I think ESRI is making a mistake not seriously supporting it.

DG

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'm using VS 2013 also in my JavaScript development and agree with you on that.

Generally in any of the JS sessions, the presenters really downplay the use of code assist plugins, saying they don't use them. However, for a great many people who don't know all the intricacies of the API, it's an invaluable tool to help better understand it.

0 Kudos
DennisGeasan

And a great learning tool!! 

I'm looking at migrating a Silverlight app to the JSAPI.  I'm considering (but haven't taken the time as yet to research) intermixing the JSAPI with some ASP.Net controls.  Mainly for collecting user input to be used for searching.  Is that possible?  Any gotcha's that I need to know about?

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any experience with ASP.Net, unfortunately. I chose VS since I was using that for my ArcObjects tool development and was fairly comfortable with it as an IDE.

0 Kudos