Select to view content in your preferred language

Bug in legend widget? Grouped legend values appear multiple times

12-09-2010 01:45 PM
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
In ArcMap, create a Unique Values symbology, select multiple categories, then right-click and Group them.

Publish to ArcGIS Server and add as a dynamic map service. Using the new JS API version 2.1 legend widget, create a legend from this layer.

I'm finding that the grouped categories display multiple times. Eg, if the group consists of 3 individual categories, the (identical) symbol will appear in the legend 3 times.

Please let me know if you need any further information to reproduce this bug.

Thanks,
Steve

PS I have no idea why this title has a smiley face. Maybe that's another bug.
0 Kudos
21 Replies
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
Any response from ESRI?

What's the best way to submit this as a bug report, given that I'm an EDN customer so don't have access to the full tech support?

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
Do you have a test service that shows the problem?

Any response from ESRI?

What's the best way to submit this as a bug report, given that I'm an EDN customer so don't have access to the full tech support?

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
Hi Kelly,

Unfortunately my server isn't yet accessible externally. But hopefully the description above is enough for you to recreate a similar service? Basically just use a Unique Values renderer, select a couple of classes, and choose Group.

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
JeffLegato
Occasional Contributor
Do you have a test service that shows the problem?

Kelly, We are experiencing this same issue and we don't have a outward facing server yet to show you.

We used the same steps as Steve, symbolize a layer and group in Symbology tab in Layer Properties. 

Just thought you should know.
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Steve and Jeff,

I updated a service to try and reproduce the problem but my legend doesn't display multiple items. The test service is public:

https://servicesbeta.esri.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/SanJuan/Trails/MapServer

The Trail Conditions layer has a unique value renderer and I grouped two of the items (maintenance and bridge). I also created a group layer (Trails, Regional Trail Conditions) just in case that was the issue.

I then modified the Legend Widget sample from the help to use the San Juan layer and in my tests there are no duplicate items. Is there something in your service that is substantially different?
0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
Hi Kelly,

Your legend works fine for me, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Once our web server is outwardly facing I'll get you to try it and see if we can reproduce the problem.

Cheers,
Steve
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Sounds good Steve, I'll try a few different tests as well to see if I can reproduce here as well.

Hi Kelly,

Your legend works fine for me, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Once our web server is outwardly facing I'll get you to try it and see if we can reproduce the problem.

Cheers,
Steve
0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
Hi Kelly,

Just a thought - I'm using an MSD file as input for the service. I've noticed that there's sometimes a difference when an MSD vs MXD file is used, which might be the case here?

Steve
0 Kudos
MR
by
New Contributor
I'm getting this same problem Steve - did you manage to find a solution? I'm using MXD's so I don't think it's anything to do with that.
0 Kudos