Select to view content in your preferred language

Android Edge Flickering

05-14-2024 09:06 AM
Stuart-Harlan
New Contributor II

Created an ESRI JSAPI 4.28 web map and it flickers on Android/Edge, usually after a pan/zoom.  Android/Chrome does NOT flicker.  The entire map frame flickers, but, not the entire web page.  No flickering on desktop either (Edge or Chrome).  Only experienced on Android/Edge (Android 13/Galaxy S20 FE 5G/Edge 124.0.2478.87).

But, it's not just my web app.  Tried several samples from the ESRI JS SDK site and they flicker as well.

11 Replies
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

I just started having similar issues today (6/4/2024).

I've been intermittently developing a custom app using version 4.29 for a couple of months now. Users can click/tap a bus stop that is going to be discontinued. This click opens a popup that tells them where the closest alternative stop is - and it features a button that says "show me where". When they click the button, I used map animations to zoom to the alternative stop. Once the animation ends, a pop up opens on the alternative stop that displays more information. 

Because most bus users will not be using a laptop nor desktop, I've been testing this functionality in Chrome and Firefox on my Android (Galaxy S20 Ultra) pretty regularly. I haven't had many problems at all. Then this morning I added a few more feature layers to the map and changed the base map png (not vector) tiles that are served from our county's ArcGIS Server. I tested things a number of times on Chrome on my desktop and didn't notice any issues. But when I tested it on Chrome on my phone, I saw some flickering when the first pop up is displayed. It was weird and a little annoying, but the app is still usable. But now when I click the 'show me where' button, the map zooms to the alternative stop, the pop-up displays and the map goes completely blank. I also can't interact with the map at all until I close the popup which is 'docked' on the bottom part of the map.

Since the original poster mentioned that he was using Edge on Android, I installed Edge on my phone for the first time just now. The flickering is more pronounced on Edge than it is on Chrome. And the map goes blank when the second pop-up appears, just like Chrome.

When I change (downgrade) from the JS API from version 4.29 to 4.28, (note the 8):

-- Chrome (Android): the flickering seemed to be present the first few times I loaded the map, but it appears to be gone now. The map does NOT go blank when the second pop-up appears. My app is usable again!

-- Edge (Android): the flickering is more frequent than Chrome. The map does NOT go blank when the second pop up appears. It's a little annoying but my app is usable. 

Additional notes:

• I did not experience any issues on my Windows 11 Desktop using Chrome, Edge and Firefox. When testing on these browsers, I opened the Dev panels and simulated the app on phone sized screens.
  • I also didn't have any problems with Firefox on my phone. 

Browser versions/builds on my phone (none are development or beta versions, as far as I can tell):

• Edge: 125.0.2535.72
  • Chrome: 125.0.6422.146. According to this site, version 125.0.6422.140 was released on 5/30/2024. I don't think that I tested my app between then and today (6/6/2024), so it seems plausible that this Chrome release may have caused the issue.
  • Firefox: 122.0 (Build #2015998391)

At least my web app is working. I doubt many people are using Edge on Android, so my level of concern is not super high. I hope this information helps. 

0 Kudos
KnoxvilleRegional
New Contributor

Update 6/20/2024: The flickering while using Edge on Android seems more pronounced today. My app is usable, but this is a sizable distraction. I'm still using ArcGIS JS version 4.28.

0 Kudos