Select to view content in your preferred language

Advice for migrating to ArcGIS API for Javascript 4.x

12-11-2017 01:59 AM
FreddyBroring
Occasional Contributor

In de past years we developed a set of custom widgets and applications with Dojo 1 and the ArcGIS API for Javascript 3.x. Right now we are experimenting with the 4.x API and created some experimental custom widgets with Typescript and the AGS API.

I was wondering what Javascript framework/libraries we should use for our future web applications. There are some options: Dojo 1 (but how long will it be supported), Dojo 2 (not ready yet), Angular and others. I think we should use a Typescript enabled framework/library.

Can you give some advice what would be a good choise for our migration path?

Any advice is appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ReneRubalcava
Honored Contributor

I think once you get the hang of building widgets in 4x using TypeScript, you'll find that between Accessor and custom widgets, you can accomplish quite a bit with scalable projects.

Now, if you are interested in using a Framework to build out your app, I would definitely not recommend Dojo 1, as we don't even expose any dijits in the 4x anymore. Dojo 2 is still beta, but even their widget library recently had some changes, although I am a fan, I think it needs a little more time before its really ready.

Angular is a solid choice, it provides most of what you need out of the box.

I'm a big fan of React and VueJS. I like them because they each do one thing and one  thing only. Build components. It's up to you how to wire them up, which provides a lot of flexibility.

If you like rigidity, Ember may be a good choice, as you pretty much do things the Ember way or you're in the way. The Ops Dashboard app is written in Ember and so is Hub.

We have a guide page on Frameworks you can also look over.

I'd also recommend looking at this great series of blog posts by Sitepen on Web Frameworks.

And because I'm a huge fan, and if you want something a bit more eclectic, I really like Elm.

FreddyBroring
Occasional Contributor

Thanks alot Rene, I will look at the different options you suggested.

0 Kudos