Click-and-drag to rotate a SceneView around a Point

06-29-2023 09:46 AM
Labels (1)
RouteMapper308
New Contributor II

ISSUEI have generated a SceneView using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript (v4.26). I have a Graphic (it's just a small circle) drawn at a Point in the SceneView. Upon initialization, the Camera within my SceneView is centered on the Point. When I right-click and drag on the SceneView, the SceneView rotates; the problem is that the Graphic representing the Point is no longer centered within the screen.

I would think that rotation would always occur around the center of the view, but I'm finding that depending where I right-click on the screen to initiate rotation, the Graphic will drift varying amounts, indicating that the center of my SceneView is changing.

v.4.17 was the last version where this issue did not occur.

image001.png

USE CASE/IDEA: It would be useful for users to click-and-drag within a SceneView to rotate their view while remaining centered on an exact point. This behavior would be useful for assessing line of sight to a particular point from an airborne sensor (i.e. aircraft or satellite) as it moves through space. It would also be useful for providing operators of those airborne sensors some awareness of the 3D terrain features they can expect to see as they orbit about that point.

EXISTING WORK: Cesium offers this functionality using a lookAt method. According to their documentation, "This comes in handy when you want to restrict the camera’s movements to a region or asset." This Cesium Sandcastle provides a demo of the exact functionality I would like to see within ArcGIS JS.

Tags (2)
1 Comment
dani
by Esri Contributor

Thanks for the detailed information and use case. I'll discuss this with the development team to evaluate this request.