Web App Builder Dashboard theme for 3D Scenes with similar (or as many) customization options as 2D Scene Web App Builder Dashboard theme?

06-26-2018 04:22 AM
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any future updates to the web app builder in ArcGIS Online because I was looking to see if the full capabilities in the Dashboard for 2D scenes can also be applied to 3D scenes as well. I was playing around with the 3D scene Web App Builder and I noticed that there are not as many capabilities for 3D scenes as there are for 2D scenes. Is there by any chance that Esri will be working on developing the Web App Builder a bit more because I would like to see the full functionalities for 3D scenes as it is for 2D scenes.

Thanks,

Robert Phillips

6 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Robert,

> Is there by any chance that Esri will be working on developing the Web App Builder a bit more because I would like to see the full functionalities for 3D scenes as it is for 2D scenes.

FYI, Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS behind the scenes actually uses 2 libraries:

- for 2D functionality with web maps, it uses the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.x

- for 3D functionality with web scenes, it uses the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.x

The answer to your question is yes. As the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.x matures and more functionality is added/enabled - then Web AppBuilder will also have more functionality to work with web scenes.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Thanks Derek,

I wasn't sure which direction Esri was going with their online content and I wasn't sure if they were going to focus merely on one area or branch out into others. Do you also know if some of the story maps are also going to be getting updates. The reason being is because I am very interested to see if they could add some capabilities that I saw in other story maps, such as the swipe story map, and see if they could include that capability in the Story Map journal. I have looked into increasing its capabilities with a few custom additions that I also think would be nice to include. Here is an example of what I have done to the Story Map Journal in terms of custom edits. Hopefully Esri might consider increasing the capabilities of the story maps that they already have.

https://cobbcountyga.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=30bcfa4e641d410289021b8093486f... 

If you wouldn't mind letting me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Robert,

> ... such as the swipe story map, and see if they could include that capability in the Story Map journal.

FYI, you can embed a Swipe app in the Story Map Journal, please see this blog post

Embedding a Story Map within a Story Map

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Thanks Derek,

It is helpful but I was really hoping Esri, or someone, could include the option to allow users to have the ability to highlight text and have the map change. Kind of like how it is set up the way users can highlight text to navigate to different portions of the map, but instead be able to swipe a layer in the map.

Robert

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Robert,

Please submit your enhancement request on the https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas site.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

I will thanks Derek.

0 Kudos