Searching Features

Jump to solution
06-06-2017 12:27 PM
MichaelBullington
New Contributor

Hi all, I'm new around here. I've configured a web app. My question is, can I allow users to search field data (feature data), in this case trail names) with the search feature?

I've seen this : Configure feature search—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  -- but I do not have the "Find Locations" setting on the map in My Content or elsewhere. I'm not even sure if this is the correct approach.

Any help/direction would be most appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The issue is with the CSV.  There were about 15 - 20 or so rows that had no coordinates for the Lat/Long fields.  This was causing an issue when trying to create a feature service, only 400 features were created.  I deleted these and then recreated the service and 1,220 features were created.  You can take a look at the CSV and feature service (trails_updated) in the Group.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Mike,

Do you know if you are using an ArcGIS Online Organization account (you will see 'My Organization' on the top banner) or a ArcGIS Online personal account?  If you have an Organization account I would recommend creating your web app using the Web AppBuilder.  This will allow you to easily create and configure your web app to fit the needs you want.

0 Kudos
MichaelBullington
New Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Online with an Organization Account. I thought I was using the AppBuilder, which I launched from within the map itself (under my content I have a Web Map and a Web Mapping Application). Either way, it looks like I need to read the help section on the AppBuilder.

Thanks for the quick reply.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Sounds like you may just need to configure the Search widget.

0 Kudos
MichaelBullington
New Contributor

Well, I've been about to set up a Featured Layer and configure the search widget. It works well when it works. I'm having hit and miss results with searching my featured layer. Trail names that are in the data (I've dbl-checked) are not being found. Some are. It seems like less than 50 percent of the trails are actually searchable.

Any idea as to why or suggestions? 

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would have to take a look at the feature service.  If you want to share it to a Group and invite my user account (jskinner_CountySandbox) I can take a look at it.

0 Kudos
MichaelBullington
New Contributor

Jake, I've invited you to a group that the app is shared with. Thank you.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Can you share the feature service, too?  I will need to take a look at that.

0 Kudos
MichaelBullington
New Contributor

I've shared the feature layer and the CSV file, too. Let me know if you need anything else.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Taking a look at your web application, it appears to be working.  The search is finding the Trails without an issue for me.  Have you tried different browsers?

I also created a web app called 'NRT Trail Data Web Application' in the Group you invited me to.

Here is how I had the Search widget configured:

0 Kudos