Select to view content in your preferred language

App title is being truncated in Sidebar Instant App

Jump to solution
05-04-2023 03:14 PM
RyanBohan
Regular Contributor

App title is being truncated in Sidebar App.  

I am trying to input the App title: "Zoning and Parcel Information Portal (ZAPP) | Sustainable Development Areas and Complete Communities Areas"

However instant apps is truncating it to: Zoning and Parcel Information Portal (ZAPP) | Sustainable Development Areas and Compl..."  ete Communities Areas is cut out of the title

RyanBohan_1-1683238331240.png

There is plenty of room in the header for the longer title.  I checked the info icon if there is a maximum title length, there does not appear to be one.

RyanBohan_0-1683238148451.png

I thought maybe it would need to be adjusted in CSS, but the title is simply truncated, if I type a longer title in the dev tools, it displays in the header no problem.

How do I input a longer title in Instant Apps?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Sidebar currently truncates the title if its longer than 100 characters but we are looking at the logic to optimize the amount of space the title can take and it should be improved in the next release of ArcGIS Online.

In the meantime you can avoid the truncation by using the custom header option. If you set that you have more control over the length of the title. If you run into issues getting your title to look the way you want using this option post back here and I'll take a look. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

I've found the instant apps to be extremely buggy and poorly tested. By nature, they're designed to have very little configurability, so I think the answer here is going to be a feature request through the ideas site (quick and easy) or an enhancement request through technical support (could take months).

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Sidebar currently truncates the title if its longer than 100 characters but we are looking at the logic to optimize the amount of space the title can take and it should be improved in the next release of ArcGIS Online.

In the meantime you can avoid the truncation by using the custom header option. If you set that you have more control over the length of the title. If you run into issues getting your title to look the way you want using this option post back here and I'll take a look. 

RyanBohan
Regular Contributor

Thank you @KellyHutchins for the fast response.  I was unaware of the custom header option, and a bonus more control over how the header is displayed.

0 Kudos