Select to view content in your preferred language

Repair broken data source in Workbook?

Jump to solution
08-29-2022 01:10 PM
SaraHedrick1
New Contributor III

I need to change a data source in ArcGIS Insights and keep all cards. I have a workbook that pulled from a single hosted feature layer that was deleted and it has broken about many cards in my workbook.  

I try to method from updating the data source in the model view that was suggested in this thread: 
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-insights-questions/change-dataset-source-in-workbook/m-p/105440...

This isn't working for me because I do not see an option to Update a layer that is currently broken. I trying adding it a new identical version if the missing layer and updating the relationship, but I don't have that option either. Is there something I'm missing? Should I be looking another place? I see options to update for layers that aren't broken, just not for the one that is broken. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LauraBecht
Occasional Contributor
Hi Sara,
Unfortunately, in my experience once the link is broken to the cards you have to remake the cards. If you had updated before the feature class was deleted you would be ok. However, if you have a saved model of the workbook from when it worked, you can make a new page or workbook add the model, and update with the new layer. I have found it necessary to save copies of the models - and themes to keep the layout - of important workbooks so they can be recreated without spending hours getting them back.
Regards,
Laura

View solution in original post

9 Replies
LauraBecht
Occasional Contributor
Hi Sara,
Unfortunately, in my experience once the link is broken to the cards you have to remake the cards. If you had updated before the feature class was deleted you would be ok. However, if you have a saved model of the workbook from when it worked, you can make a new page or workbook add the model, and update with the new layer. I have found it necessary to save copies of the models - and themes to keep the layout - of important workbooks so they can be recreated without spending hours getting them back.
Regards,
Laura
SaraHedrick1
New Contributor III

Thank you for your input. The feature wasn't deleted by myself or deleted intentionally. There was an issue with our server. I unfortunately don't have a copy of the model. I will make sure to make copies in the future prevent this from happening again. That seems like a good practice and I will implement that. 

I hope this functionally gets added in the future. It doesn't seem like it would be difficult to add and it would be very useful to have. I can't be the only person to have encountered this before, and it is a pain to have to rebuild so many cards. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

@SaraHedrick1@LauraBecht -

We appreciate your discussion here and your patience. I know recreating work can be frustrating.

This issue is something we are actively look at right now and hope to have a solution sooner rather than later, possibly even next release.

SaraHedrick1
New Contributor III

I really appreciate your quick responses and general insight. It's great to hear that that may be added soon. In the meantime (and even afterward for good measurement) I'll be sure to make copies. 

0 Kudos
SaraHedrick1
New Contributor III

Ok, so I rebuild my model and all my cards. I saved the page, the model, and theme, and exported a package. After rebuilding, I needed to make an update to my table, so in ArcPro a shared through the 'Overwrite Table' option. Fields are all the same, just a minor change to the rows.  I reopen ArcInsights, and it is broken and when try to update the data source in my models this is what I see: 

Capture.PNG

Just for clarification, I started a new page and I readded the datasets I was working with. This is with the data layer in the worksheet. I just doesn't recognize that it is the same layer. I tried replacing the fields, but it just went let me update it with the overwritten layer.

The only thing that I can thing could be the issue is that there is a 'Start Date' field in my table that was a Date/Time field in my model. Maybe it won't read it as the same table since it separates the Date/Time into multiple fields in the page once you change the field type. That's the only thing I can thing of because I didn't change anything except to remove a record.

Capture.PNG

I know this a new issue, but since it is a related I didn't want to start a new thread. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

Yes this is something I've noticed recently as well and does speak to the larger issue of our models perhaps being a bit too restrictive which we are examining.

In this scenario, the model is looking for the Date/Time field so within Insights if you change the {Start Date} field to Date/Time you should be able to update the model.

0 Kudos
SaraHedrick1
New Contributor III

Scott, 

I tried that. I can see where that would work in theory. Even after changing the field in the contents panel to 'Date/Time', it doesn't recognize the layer as an option. I tried making the field date/time in ArcPro, and it didn't recognize that either.

I tried a republishing and handling things a couple different ways, including uploading the excel directly instead of publishing as a table. It doesn't recognize that any layers are available, so I can't even force it through. I think I have to rebuild it yet again. 

SaraHedrick1_1-1661907801184.png

0 Kudos
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

I apologize you have to recreate your work on this, that's obviously way less than ideal.

If you're interested and able to send me your workbook I can take a closer look but not totally sure what might be going on.

0 Kudos
SaraHedrick1
New Contributor III

I appreciate the offer and all the help. I recreated the workbook with the new data source. Just today I updated the data source using the method first recommended and it worked without issue. Instead it linking to a hosted table, I used excel document that I pulled directly into the workbook. That seems to be giving my less issues, but that could just be anecdotal. 

0 Kudos