Reorder categories in a column chart

03-11-2019 02:00 PM
AileenProfir
New Contributor III

I'm wondering if you can sort categories in a column chart in any other way than alphabetical/ascending/descending. 

I would rather not add the extra 0 on the income category for it to show up in order from smallest to greatest (see attached photo).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
LindaBeale
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately at the moment there are no other options than those that you see in "Sort" on the card.  We are hoping to introduce additional methods in the future.

0 Kudos
Elizabeth_Burniston
New Contributor III

@LindaBeale Has there been any progress on this? I too, am unable to sort on the card in any way other than described above. Can there not be a drag/drop - custom order option? Illustrating a chart with the name of weekdays in random order is rather confusing to the end user.

Elizabeth_Burniston_0-1714059602735.png

0 Kudos
LindaBeale
Esri Contributor

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for checking in on this.

For column and bar charts, it is possible to manually re-order.  The option can be found under sort:

LindaBeale_0-1714081917293.png

Having selected sort manually, you can drag a column or bar to the order you would like.  Press Apply on exit of manually sorting.

If you have temporal fields, all date/time components are automatically ordered correctly.  You can convert string fields to time (e.g. if the formatting has been lost in a csv file), by clicking on the icon of the field:

LindaBeale_1-1714082101040.png

You will the see the date/time components in the correct order in all charts.

LindaBeale_2-1714082142533.png

I hope that helps.

Elizabeth_Burniston
New Contributor III

@LindaBeale Converting the string field to time corrected the order just as I had wanted! Thank you so much for your quick, and most helpful, response! 

0 Kudos