Select to view content in your preferred language

Pie chart symbol in map

Jump to solution
09-06-2024 01:07 PM
AJ_devaccount
Frequent Contributor

I have a table with about 17k points, the points have an address field that I've used to geocode in ArcGIS Online Insights using the enable location function. The problem is that a few of the addresses weren't geocoded, causing a discrepancy between the map and table visuals. 

To avoid this error, especially since there isn't a way to see which addresses weren't geocoded, I've geocoded the table in Pro, and uploaded it as a hosted feature layer instead. When enable location function was used, I could visualize coincident points as pie charts using a category field in the same table. I can't seem to visualize the hosted feature layer that I had geocoded with Pro as pie charts.

Is there a way to enable pie symbology on an already geocoded layer? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi @AJ_devaccount 

I am guessing you are trying to visualize a geocoded layer as a Pie Map. 

If your data has repeat addresses then geocoding them using pro will create multiple points on the same address rather than normalizing like Insights does. That is why when you bring this layer in Insights it will represent same as the data in the feature layer since this process was outside of Insights.

This behavior is same as enabling location using insights and checking the "Repeate Identical Features" check box where output will not be normalized and points with same addresses will overlap. 

In Insights if you normalize the geocoded addresses ("Repeat identical Features" unchecked) it will geocode duplicate addresss just once and internally creates a 1-n join. (saving you some credits along the way) This is why you can create a pie map as it needs to aggregate the data to display on the map.

To show Pies and columns on the map need a joined dataset. 

I will recommend you to update your addresses and geocode the layer in Insights with "Repeat identical Features" unchecked.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Hi @AJ_devaccount 

I am guessing you are trying to visualize a geocoded layer as a Pie Map. 

If your data has repeat addresses then geocoding them using pro will create multiple points on the same address rather than normalizing like Insights does. That is why when you bring this layer in Insights it will represent same as the data in the feature layer since this process was outside of Insights.

This behavior is same as enabling location using insights and checking the "Repeate Identical Features" check box where output will not be normalized and points with same addresses will overlap. 

In Insights if you normalize the geocoded addresses ("Repeat identical Features" unchecked) it will geocode duplicate addresss just once and internally creates a 1-n join. (saving you some credits along the way) This is why you can create a pie map as it needs to aggregate the data to display on the map.

To show Pies and columns on the map need a joined dataset. 

I will recommend you to update your addresses and geocode the layer in Insights with "Repeat identical Features" unchecked.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
AJ_devaccount
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

Welcome!

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe