Select to view content in your preferred language

Migration route map

Jump to solution
10-10-2022 11:18 AM
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I know in Insights Desktop a user can create a `flight path map` similar to the one shown below. In regard to this, I have the following questions:

1. Can someone share a workflow/tutorial on how to create one?
  2. Do I need a shapefile or a CSV can also be used? In either case do I need to have a coordinate column or a centroid coordinate for the origin and destination polygon? Do the coordinates need to be in WGS84 format or it can be any CRS supported by ArcPro?
  3. Can I change the boldness or color of the path depending on the number of outflows from the origin point to each destination point?

Desired output:

SaadullahBaloch_0-1665425880513.png

Question | Analyze | Visualize
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Hello @Ed_!

Thanks for your great question. And good news:

"Link map" analysis is possible in #ArcGISInsights! And the design capabilities you seek are available!  

Below are two links to help you get started creating such maps on your own.

The first is an ArcGIS Lesson on creating a #linkmap (#flowmap) in ArcGIS Insights written by our in-house lesson expert, Vicki Cove.

I believe this lesson should cover most of what you want/need to know. (If not, please just follow up here, and we can try to provide further support. 👍)

https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/understand-the-refugee-crisis-with-link-analysis/

Second, we have a blog post on "centrality" and what it means in "link charts."

Link charts work very similarly to link maps, except they don't contain spatial referencing. This isn't what you want specifically, but this blog post describes the centrality variable very well, which may be useful to you, I think. So I thought I would share it too. 😊

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/insights/analytics/adventures-in-link-centrality/

I hope these resources help. Thanks for asking about this and thank you for using ArcGIS Insights!

Ian

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Hello @Ed_!

Thanks for your great question. And good news:

"Link map" analysis is possible in #ArcGISInsights! And the design capabilities you seek are available!  

Below are two links to help you get started creating such maps on your own.

The first is an ArcGIS Lesson on creating a #linkmap (#flowmap) in ArcGIS Insights written by our in-house lesson expert, Vicki Cove.

I believe this lesson should cover most of what you want/need to know. (If not, please just follow up here, and we can try to provide further support. 👍)

https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/understand-the-refugee-crisis-with-link-analysis/

Second, we have a blog post on "centrality" and what it means in "link charts."

Link charts work very similarly to link maps, except they don't contain spatial referencing. This isn't what you want specifically, but this blog post describes the centrality variable very well, which may be useful to you, I think. So I thought I would share it too. 😊

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/insights/analytics/adventures-in-link-centrality/

I hope these resources help. Thanks for asking about this and thank you for using ArcGIS Insights!

Ian

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

@Ian_Muehlenhaus In step 4 under Link Map, there's a calculation of total population which in my case is called `Individuals`. Then in step 6 when I select `Destination County`, `Origin County` and `Individuals (for some reason the column `Total Population` used in the tutorial has a different type than that of `Individuals`), Insights does not give me the map option.

How can I fix this? 

SaadullahBaloch_0-1666358077599.png

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

@Ian_Muehlenhaus I got the map to plot by selecting the columns shown above however, I am not getting the `link map` instead it's a pie chart map as shown below.

How can I fix this?

SaadullahBaloch_0-1666624683474.png

0 Kudos
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

A-ha! This is happening, because these are String/Text data. Chart maps are created for string data. Link maps with numeric data. 

In the table of content, go to "Individuals" and click on the little bar-chart icon to the left of "Individuals." In here you can switch the data type. If these are numeric values, you can change it to Number/Numeric. Then, drag the two locations and the "Individuals" fields to create a new map. You should be offered the Link Map option. 

Sorry if this doesn't totally make sense. Happy to create  a GIFFY later to help! 

Thanks for your question, @Ed_ ! And thanks for using ArcGIS Insights! 🙂

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

I think I figured it out and it was maybe because the location was not enabled on one of the columns.

0 Kudos
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Apologies, @Ed_ , I was unexpectedly out of the office last week. I'm back now! Good morning, and thanks for your question!

If this is count data, you can change it to "Number" data by clicking on it. Link Maps require numeric data. Click on the string icon (three bars next to "Individuals" and switch the data type to Numeric/Number. This should allow you to create a Link Map. You can also use Ratio data, but it appears individuals is a Number value. 

Sorry for the delay! Just saw your other message. Will get to this momentarily!

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

@Ian_Muehlenhaus,  for enabling location I am using the `US Census 2020` data from the Living Atlas. In this dataset, the data of interest is US County which has multiple columns as shown below:

SaadullahBaloch_0-1666643215099.png

So when the enabling location process completes, it links the `Origin_County` column in my dataset to the first column, `County FIPS`. Thus in the link map popup for the bubble, County FIPS numeric value shows up instead of County Name. And, the Enable location pane does not let me select the column, `County Name`, from the `US County` dataset. Plus, you know Insights allow delete columns either otherwise I would have deleted all other columns except Column Names.

How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Never mind, I figured it out, just had to use `USA Counties` dataset from the living atlas. However, it would be cool to have the ability to select the column from the `Geography` dataset, so that the process does not default to the first column.

Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Additionally, here is an explanatory video by Vicki Cove with links to several other useful resources in its description.

https://mediaspace.esri.com/media/t/1_be1q2vkx 

Sorry I didn't include this in the first response. 

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics