Insights for ArcGIS can't read shape field in views, in native SQL table?

Jump to solution
07-29-2020 02:33 AM
LaszloCsunderlik1
New Contributor III

Dear Insights for ArcGIS community. We are facing with an interesting problem. We have in the same SQL instance two different database, one of them enterprise and one of them is native SQL database. We have to store our views in the native SQL database, but some of the views are using tables from the enterprise geodatabase, with the shape field. 

Insights for ArcGIS (version 3.4) can't load these views into a workbook. Just for testing if I remove the shape field, it is just works fine in the application. There is no permission related issues, with the two different database, the dedicated user, has all the rights to access the databases.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Or it is just a bug? Or a limitation of the application?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LaszloCsunderlik1
New Contributor III

I have found the solution for the problem. The created view has to be have an unique field (OBJECTID). In my case I had unique fields but during the inner joins, (which I used for the creation of views) there were some repetitions in the unique fields.

So the solution is that during the creation of the view you have to use the ROW NUMBER() to create OBJECTID field from some unique fields. After that if you add this view to an Insights page you have to select an uniqueid field (in my case it is the OBJECTID) and after the application can handle the shape field too and it shows that we have a location field.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Hello Laszlo,

Insights does work with views that span multiple databases within the same instance.  It's difficult to diagnose what the root cause of the problem is, but this doesn't seem right.  Not sure if you are able to upgrade to a newer version of Insights?  We have a new release of Insights (2020.2) coming out later this week. Perhaps try with the Desktop version of Insights instead of the web browser?  Can you call into our support team to identify the specific cause?

0 Kudos
LaszloCsunderlik1
New Contributor III

I have found the solution for the problem. The created view has to be have an unique field (OBJECTID). In my case I had unique fields but during the inner joins, (which I used for the creation of views) there were some repetitions in the unique fields.

So the solution is that during the creation of the view you have to use the ROW NUMBER() to create OBJECTID field from some unique fields. After that if you add this view to an Insights page you have to select an uniqueid field (in my case it is the OBJECTID) and after the application can handle the shape field too and it shows that we have a location field.

0 Kudos