Domain Values

Jump to solution
07-23-2019 05:36 AM
ScottStepro1
New Contributor III

Can someone confirm that insights does not recognize domain values from a hosted feature service?  Better yet, tell me it does and I am missing it entirely. 

Thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ArthurHaddad
Esri Contributor

Update: Domain values work with both GeoDatabases as well as Feature layers as of ArcGIS Insights 2020.1.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Correct.  Today Insights does not support domains nor subtypes.  This is something that we want to support in the product in the future, but sorry we don't have a specific release/date to commit to delivering this within.

MichelleTotman
Occasional Contributor

Scott Stepro‌, I submitted this as an ArcGIS Idea a little over a year ago. You can visit it here: https://community.esri.com/ideas/14983 . Feel free to up-vote it or add your own comment.

0 Kudos
TobiSellekaerts
New Contributor III

Can you provide the link again to the ideas page please?

0 Kudos
ArthurHaddad
Esri Contributor

Update: Domain values work with both GeoDatabases as well as Feature layers as of ArcGIS Insights 2020.1.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you clarify what you mean by "Domain values work", please? The Get Started page for Domains and subtypes lists major limitations for this type of field:

• Calculating a field
  • Applying an advanced filter

When will fields with domain values have first class support along the lines of numeric or text fields?

JonathanMcDougall
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, if they are now supported, how do we make this work? I'm on 2020.3 Desktop and online, and don't even see fields that contain domains when wishing to calculate a value or advanced filter.

ArthurHaddad
Esri Contributor

Hi Ryan,  These items are in our backlog however are lower in priority to other items.  I strongly urge you to add this request to the Ideas site and have people vote on it.  We pay close attention to the Ideas of our users.

0 Kudos
JonathanMcDougall
Occasional Contributor III

So what was the Solution? As far as I can see there's nothing but a loop back to the original question.

Within Dashboards you can calculate and see items in domains, however, frustratingly, it's not in Insights. 

I'm wanting to create a calculation that will provide an inspection cost - basically if Inspection Type = Emergency then apply cost of £xx.xx 

Will the ability to see and work with domains be added in the future?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a hacky trick that might be helpful. Join the table containing the coded value domain field with another table. The result is a table where the domain description is stripped away from domain fields and only the coded value is returned. The resulting field is no longer a domain field, rather has the data type of the coded value. If you don't have another table to join your data to, you could probably just join your table to itself. Again, this is a bit hacky, but might make more of your data usable in Insights.

0 Kudos