Where are Insights Desktop LOG files stored

Jump to solution
12-29-2020 11:05 AM
JonathanPollack
Occasional Contributor

The Desktop version of Insights apparently has LOG files.  Anyone know where they are stored.

JonathanPollack_0-1609268665477.png

I am trying to debug a problem where I can create a workbook but cannot enter/edit the workbook.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here:

%appdata%\Esri\ArcGIS Insights\logs

View solution in original post

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, my bad, you are right in that ArcGIS Insights Desktop does come with an embedded Postgres database.  It may be your local firewall settings are blocking the application from connecting to the embedded DBMS.  I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the application, paying attention to any prompts you get about firewall rules.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here:

%appdata%\Esri\ArcGIS Insights\logs
JonathanPollack
Occasional Contributor

Excellent, thanks.  Now that I have the logs I see a lot of errors but they are very not-user-friendly.  I am having the issue where I can create a workspace but can't open/edit it.  I attached the logs but can't make any actionable sense out of them

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The logs are more self explanatory than you think.  In insights-2020-12-28.0.log, focus on the lines that are timestamped.  In your case, they are:

• 2020-12-28 09:14:25,840 [qtp1215951090-21] ERROR com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariPool - HikariPool-1 - Exception during pool initialization.
    org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection to localhost:49635 refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.
  • 2020-12-28 09:28:43,876 [qtp727197178-22] ERROR com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariPool - HikariPool-1 - Exception during pool initialization.
    org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "insights"
  • 2020-12-28 10:42:41,611 [qtp1706272858-24] ERROR com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariPool - HikariPool-1 - Exception during pool initialization.
    org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "jpollack"
  • Etc....

By the looks of it, your connection to Postgres is bad and that may be causing the rest of the application to hang when trying to work with the workbook.

0 Kudos
JonathanPollack
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Joshua, didn't mean to imply the logs weren't useful, I just couldn't make sense of them 😊.  I saw that Postgres stuff but we don't use Postgres so it must be some internal Esri issue.  I do see it is trying to authenticate me so maybe it is some kind of SAML/SSO issue.  

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, my bad, you are right in that ArcGIS Insights Desktop does come with an embedded Postgres database.  It may be your local firewall settings are blocking the application from connecting to the embedded DBMS.  I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the application, paying attention to any prompts you get about firewall rules.

0 Kudos
JonathanPollack
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!!  Uninstalling-rebooting-reinstalling worked!!  

0 Kudos