Select to view content in your preferred language

More symbol types/options

07-04-2023 12:41 PM
Labels (1)
JonathanPollack
Occasional Contributor

Current symbol options for points are EXTEMELY limited.  I would like to be able to have more symbol options to choose from, specifically would like an oriented (by a degree field) arrow(s).

Tags (2)
5 Comments
ChrisWesson

Many thanks Jonathan for your feedback.

In many cases of geovisual analytics, basic shapes are used to keep the output easy to read.
Adding further symbol types is not quite as easy as it sounds, so what would help us a lot here is to understand what your goal is. For example are you wanting to show wind speed and directions on a map card or something like that?

pahli
by

Hi Chris,

we have the same problem with the very limited symbol options.
Our users should be able to easily identify the type of feature on the map by the symbol.
Feature services are not an option because the data changes frequently and joins and cross-filter are necessary.

It would be very helpful if it is possible to use for example SVG- or PNG-symbol-files like it is possible in a web map.

ChrisWesson

Thank you @pahli . I would love to help you and @JonathanPollack with your maps if I can. To help escalate this we really need to understand as many customer scenarios as possible.

A map or data with stylized points of interest, for example, can be created in Pro or MapViewer and brought into Insights. Currently allowing Insights to focus on the geovisual analytics.

To change this we need to clearly establish what our users' needs are.
So at this stage, the more detail we can get on workflows, the more kudos, and the more other customer examples, the better.

Thank you for your patience and for submitting these ideas.

pahli
by

Thank you @ChrisWesson .

Our first approach was to use featurelayer from ArcGIS Portal but unfortunately crossfilter and joins are not working with featurelayers and we don't want to use hosted featurelayer.

Thats the reason why we use direct database connection.

If featurelayer offer the same functionality (crossfilter, joins) as tables loaded via direct database connection, we would also be happy.

Best regards

ChrisWesson

Thank you for sharing the extra details, that is really helpful to us.