Select to view content in your preferred language

How to add further restrictions to the Accessibility Route in ArcGIS Indoors Route Network

Jump to solution
Thursday
HaleyBrueckman1
New Contributor II

I have a route network that is published and in a space planner app. I realized that the accessibility routing option creates routes that avoid stairs and uses an elevator, but there are additional stairs outside entrances to the building that should also be avoided. I am confused on the best way to avoid these areas for routing accessible routes. I need it so that when I select wheelchair for the transportation mode it avoids two entrances that have stairs outside and uses the one entrance that does not have stairs outside of the door. Do I need to recreate the entire route network and configure this somehow for the accessible routes? Or should I add barriers at these locations? My worry with the barriers is that these seem to be for temporary cases like construction, so would all routes avoid these barriers not just the accessible routing? What is the best way to go about this? It would be ideal if I did not have to recreate the route network to accommodate this, but if that is the only way I will do that. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SophieFrank
Esri Contributor

The Network Dataset is set up to avoid pathways and transitions features that are set as Type = Stairs / Curb or Escalator if the travel mode is set to Wheelchair. You can always inspect these properties in ArcGIS Pro by right-clicking the Network_ND dataset in the Network dataset.

SophieFrank_1-1720715895035.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SophieFrank
Esri Contributor

Hi @HaleyBrueckman1, Is the TRANSITION_TYPE for your outdoor stair transition features set to Stairs / Curb? If not, changing this attribute and rebuilding the network should cause accessible routes to avoid these stairs.

SophieFrank_1-1720715072875.png

0 Kudos
HaleyBrueckman1
New Contributor II

The outside stairs were manually added and were added to the pathways data and not transitions, which is probably the issue. Would it make sense to create transition features where these outside stairs are? And then I could change the transition type 

0 Kudos
SophieFrank
Esri Contributor

@HaleyBrueckman1 Same question for the pathways, then. Is the PATHWAY_TYPE set to Stairs / Curb? 

SophieFrank_0-1720715528532.png

0 Kudos
HaleyBrueckman1
New Contributor II

Looks like it is set to Hallway/Sidewalk! I assume the next step then would be to change these to stairs/curb and then recreate the network dataset and republish?

0 Kudos
SophieFrank
Esri Contributor

The Network Dataset is set up to avoid pathways and transitions features that are set as Type = Stairs / Curb or Escalator if the travel mode is set to Wheelchair. You can always inspect these properties in ArcGIS Pro by right-clicking the Network_ND dataset in the Network dataset.

SophieFrank_1-1720715895035.png

HaleyBrueckman1
New Contributor II

Hi, I went in and updated the pathways to be 'Stairs / Curbs'  and republished the Routes dataset but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. I checked all the settings and they seem correct, but it is still routing the wheel chair routes down stairs. See the screens shots for more details.

image (3).png

image (2).png

image (4).png

   

Screenshot 2024-07-11 162310.png

0 Kudos
SophieFrank
Esri Contributor

Hey @HaleyBrueckman1, After updating the attribute did you rebuild the network before republishing route layers? 

To rebuild the network you can right-click the Network_ND dataset in the Network dataset and click Build. That will open the gp tool that you can run to rebuild it.

SophieFrank_0-1720733740717.png

You can always verify that the route is working as expected by generating directions in Pro prior to publishing your analysis layers. To do this, add a routing analysis layer to the map, create two stops that you want to test the route between, choose Wheelchair as the walking mode and output directions on solve, then click Run.

SophieFrank_1-1720734147486.png

0 Kudos